Health Center fights illness, offers resources

For most students, college is a transition to adulthood without the benefit of a nearby chaperone to lead the way. When the excitement of meeting new people and being in a new place wears away, it is not unusual for students to feel slightly overwhelmed, especially when illness or injury occurs. Fortunately, the staff of the Student Health Service goes out of their way to make students feel comfortable when receiving care at a new location.
In addition to providing primary care services, the Health Center provides specialty care including women’s health and orthopedics, smoking cessation resources, x-ray and lab services, and advice on health related issues. The Health Service staff includes board certified physicians and nurse practitioners who are available to diagnose and treat minor injuries, provide care for many acute and chronic illnesses and offer appropriate referrals when required. Students with chronic medical conditions are encouraged to visit the Health Center to meet and get to know one of their primary care providers early in the school year.
Prior to the start of the semester, all new students are required to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps and rubella and must also provide proof of immunization against hepatitis B and meningococcal meningitis, or sign a waiver declining these immunizations. All international students must also be screened for risk of tuberculosis by completing page two of the Immunization Form. Nursing students are required to obtain additional immunizations and a tuberculosis screening as described on the Nursing Immunization Form available at www.miami.edu/studenthealth.
The Student Health Service web portal, mystudenthealth.miami.edu, permits students to enter their immunization information and check for preliminary compliance. However, final immunization compliance will not occur until the Student Health Service staff receives immunization forms completed and signed by a health care provider. The mystudenthealth portal also allows students to make appointments on-line, access forms required for their visit prior to the appointment and print immunization records to submit to other institutions.
Although health insurance is required for all students while attending the University, domestic students with alternative health insurance coverage may request cancellation of the annual fee by completing a waiver request via myUM under the “Life at UM” prior to the established deadlines.  Students with limited out of area coverage or otherwise inadequate coverage are urged to carefully review their options before waiving the University’s sponsored insurance plan. Students are not required to have the University’s sponsored insurance plan in order to use the services of the Health Center.
Effective Fall 2010, students enrolled in the University’s sponsored insurance plan are required to complete a Smoker Designation Form each academic year via myUM also found under the For most students, college is a transition to adulthood without the benefit of a nearby chaperone to lead the way. When the excitement of meeting new people and being in a new place wears away, it is not unusual for students to feel slightly overwhelmed, especially when illness or injury occurs. Fortunately, the staff of the Student Health Service goes out of its way to make students feel comfortable when receiving care at a new location.
Parents are usually pleased to learn that prescriptions can be filled on campus and that prices are often lower than at local drug stores. Most students prefer to drop off their prescriptions and come back after class to pick up their medication but others don’t mind the short wait. The Pharmacy is conveniently located on the second floor of the Health Center, accepts many insurance plans and can fill most prescriptions written by out-of-town and off-campus providers. When prescription number is available, prescriptions refills are promptly handled by calling the automated refill line at (305) 284-5922 or via myUM under the “Life at UM” tab.
Established deadlines, forms, mystudenthealth.miami.edu instructions, smoking cessation programs, emergency information including listing of Urgent Care Centers and additional information can be found at www.miami.edu/student-health.
The Student Health Service is located across from the Pavia Garage in front of the Lowe Art Museum and is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Fridays 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursdays 9 a.m.  to 5 p.m. and on Sundays from Noon to 4 p.m. When the Health Center is closed, after-hours assistance is available by calling (305) 284-9100.
The Health Center and Pharmacy staff is happy to assist students with any of their medical needs or address any immunization or insurance questions. Do not hesitate to send your inquiry to studenthealth@miami.edu.
IF YOU GO

Where: Across from Pavia Garage
Hours: M-F 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thurs 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. & Sundays 12-4 p.m.
Contact: (305) 284-9100 Main
www.miami.edu/student-health
studenthealth@miami.edu
mystudenthealth.miami.edu

Taimania Matthews may be contacted at t.matthews1@umiami.edu.

Taimania Matthews

Student Assistant Student Health Service