Greek Week events unify the community

Every spring, Greeks come together to host one of the university’s most popular, and most charitable, weeks on campus.
Greek Week is a series of events that unite members from all social Greek fraternities and sororities of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and the National Association of Latino Fraternal Organizations Council to raise funds for United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. Greeks have raised a combined $400,000 over the past 15 years. Last year alone they raised over $20,000.
Other recipients of the Greek Week endowment are the Community Blood Banks of South Florida, who has  received over 1,000 pints of blood from the Greeks’ efforts.
“Everyone’s spirit and enthusiasm helps to not only increase Greek visibility on campus, but also reconfirm our commitment to doing positive events to help others,” said recent graduate Dallas Short, a Phi Delta Theta brother and former co-chair of Greek Week.
The theme this year was “Reality TV,” meaning each event had characteristics of recent popular reality television shows, but also incorporated current events. Featured events included “Extreme Makeover: Haiti Edition” and “Miami’s Best Dance Crew.”  The theme of the week overall was “True Life: I’m Greek,” based on MTV’s show “True Life.”
Greek Week is similar to Homecoming in that there are a series of events over the course of a week that bring everyone together, but recent graduate Devin Murphy, Kappa  Kappa Gamma sister and former co-chair of the week, sees some differences.
“I think this week offers a lot more of a chance for unity amongst all of the social Greek life on campus since all Greeks are involved,” she said.
Homecoming, on the other hand, is an event that is more focused on networking with UM alumni and celebrating the annual Homecoming football game through displays of school spirit.
Each event at both Homecoming and Greek Week is a competition, with a big emphasis on participation. While there is always a first-place winner based on performance, a considerable number of points are given for participation.
“It’s a great way for Greeks to not only compete, but through that competition, get to know each other and show our unity as a Greek community,” Short said.
Greek Week also has its appeal to non-Greek students at UM.
“I was just walking by the patio last year with some friends and saw some really tight dance moves, so I decided to stick around,” recent graduate Try Spano said. “Even though I’m not Greek, it was definitely entertaining to watch.”
GREEK WEEK EVENTS:
  • Blood Drive
  • Greek God and Goddess
  • Organized Cheer
  • Greek Olympic Day
Colleen Dourney may be contacted at cdourney@themiamihurricane.com.

Colleen Dourney

Contributing Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Greek Week events unify the community”