Frost one of the top music schools

The Frost School of Music is listed among the top music schools in the country, and a new, ground-breaking program this fall called the Experiential Music Curriculum could boost it higher up the charts.
The purpose of the mandatory curriculum, which begins this fall, is “to provide an integrative music teaching and learning environment that ensures all undergraduate students receive a broad education that includes all aspects of musicianship,” according to the school’s Web site.
“It is more reflective of the vision of the dean and of the faculty realizing that a lot of music schools were training people the way they were 100 years ago,” said Julia Berg, director of marketing and communications for the Frost School. “They really felt like it was time to make some curricular changes in that way.”
The Experiential Music Curriculum focuses more on hands-on experience rather than theoretical approach.
Each week, students learn about music theory, composition, ear training and music history in small groups rather than large lecture classes. And the sessions explore a wide array of musical styles in the process.
The school, with roots stretching back to the founding of UM in 1926, now has about 500 undergraduate and more than 200 graduate students.
They are taught by a faculty of 58 full-time professors and 56 adjuncts. There are more than 4,500 Frost alumni in the United States and around the world.
Frost students can choose from a plethora of majors, including theory/composition, instrumental keyboard and vocal performance, music engineering, music education and music therapy.
The wide selection of majors is one thing Berg says sets the Frost School apart from other music schools:
“There is an incredible broadness of musical subjects that someone could study here in addition to the necessity of maintaining a very high level of performance training.”
Rising junior Paige Martins, who is in the musical theatre program, said that the variety of musical knowledge the Frost School offers was her main reason for attending.
“Frost really works hard to give every type of student, whether they are studying instrument, voice, music business, music education, etc., the full experience to gain any knowledge they can or want,” Martins said.
“We are required to take a variety of different classes that develop us into stronger musicians and give us a head start for our futures over other students studying music elsewhere.”
Classes in the Frost School are fairly small, often around four to eight students, which dovetails nicely into the Experiential Music Curriculum.
Furthermore, ‘Cane Records and CAT5 Music Publishing, a student-run record label and a publishing company respectively, are successful business ventures that give students more hands-on experience and better preparation for industry jobs after graduation.
Frost also hosts a number of major events through the year to showcase talent. The biggest one happens every fall when Festival Miami– now in its 27th year– offers dozens of concerts to entertain students, faculty and campus visitors.
Come senior year, Frost students are given the opportunity to showcase their talents and teachings through the Senior Concert Experience.
Recent graduate Dion Kerr, who studied jazz performance, said the concert is a great opportunity for music students and the audience.
“You get to put together a group of musicians and a program of music that best demonstrates your ability on your instrument and as a composer,” Kerr said.
Brooke Burgstahler may be contacted at bburgstahler@themiamihurricane.com.

The Frost School of Music is listed among the top music schools in the country, and a new, ground-breaking program this fall called the Experiential Music Curriculum could boost it higher up the charts.The purpose of the mandatory curriculum, which begins this fall, is “to provide an integrative music teaching and learning environment that ensures all undergraduate students receive a broad education that includes all aspects of musicianship,” according to the school’s Web site.“It is more reflective of the vision of the dean and of the faculty realizing that a lot of music schools were training people the way they were 100 years ago,” said Julia Berg, director of marketing and communications for the Frost School. “They really felt like it was time to make some curricular changes in that way.”The Experiential Music Curriculum focuses more on hands-on experience rather than theoretical approach. Each week, students learn about music theory, composition, ear training and music history in small groups rather than large lecture classes. And the sessions explore a wide array of musical styles in the process.The school, with roots stretching back to the founding of UM in 1926, now has about 500 undergraduate and more than 200 graduate students. They are taught by a faculty of 58 full-time professors and 56 adjuncts. There are more than 4,500 Frost alumni in the United States and around the world.Frost students can choose from a plethora of majors, including theory/composition, instrumental keyboard and vocal performance, music engineering, music education and music therapy.The wide selection of majors is one thing Berg says sets the Frost School apart from other music schools: “There is an incredible broadness of musical subjects that someone could study here in addition to the necessity of maintaining a very high level of performance training.”Rising junior Paige Martins, who is in the musical theatre program, said that the variety of musical knowledge the Frost School offers was her main reason for attending.“Frost really works hard to give every type of student, whether they are studying instrument, voice, music business, music education, etc., the full experience to gain any knowledge they can or want,” Martins said. “We are required to take a variety of different classes that develop us into stronger musicians and give us a head start for our futures over other students studying music elsewhere.”Classes in the Frost School are fairly small, often around four to eight students, which dovetails nicely into the Experiential Music Curriculum.Furthermore, ‘Cane Records and CAT5 Music Publishing, a student-run record label and a publishing company respectively, are successful business ventures that give students more hands-on experience and better preparation for industry jobs after graduation.Frost also hosts a number of major events through the year to showcase talent. The biggest one happens every fall when Festival Miami– now in its 27th year– offers dozens of concerts to entertain students, faculty and campus visitors.Come senior year, Frost students are given the opportunity to showcase their talents and teachings through the Senior Concert Experience. Recent graduate Dion Kerr, who studied jazz performance, said the concert is a great opportunity for music students and the audience.“You get to put together a group of musicians and a program of music that best demonstrates your ability on your instrument and as a composer,” Kerr said.

Brooke Burgstahler

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Frost one of the top music schools”

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...