Freshman orientation teaches UM traditions

Orientation is a time when students can get their first taste of what it means to truly bleed orange and green. Six days of all-new activities are set to establish pride, tradition and love of alma mater.
Focusing on the fundamental first year of college, the orientation staff has been working hard to ensure that new students feel completely welcome and comfortable during their first few days. Unlike previous years, orientation will now focus more on the students’ easy adjustment to a new lifestyle at the University of Miami.
According to Dr. Brian Orefice, director of orientation, the main goals are to ensure that students successfully engage in both social and academic integration. Orientation will now consist of smaller, more streamlined sessions.
“We recognized that orientation is a process and not an event,” Orefice said. “After these first six days, we will continue to reach out to students throughout the semester, providing more in-depth information.”
Centered on the theme “My choice, My future, Miami,” Orientation 2010 will also be more personalized for freshman, transfer and international students. While freshman orientation will emphasize tradition and spirit, international students will discuss coming to a new country and dealing with language barriers. Transfer students will have a shorter, two-day program that will focus on the unique aspects of the Coral Gables campus.
Additionally, there will be a continuous outreach towards commuter students.
“We want commuters to have mentors and resources,” Orefice said. “The Commuter Assistants are in more active positions and will help students early on from the Great Start program in the summer, to Orientation in the fall.”
Student coordinators are especially ready to get this week started. After many hours of preparation, they are ready to share the experience they enjoyed their first year with new students.
“I became an orientation leader because I had a great experience as a freshman and I wanted to provide that same, great ‘new experience’ at UM with other students,” said Maury Abascal, a rising senior majoring in marketing and motion pictures.
“I think this year’s group of student leaders make the perfect group to guide our new students and provide them with the knowledge and information they will need to succeed.”
The first meeting with orientation groups is scheduled for Aug. 19.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Orientation is a time when students can get their first taste of what it means to truly bleed orange and green. Six days of all-new activities are set to establish pride, tradition and love of alma mater.Focusing on the fundamental first year of college, the orientation staff has been working hard to ensure that new students feel completely welcome and comfortable during their first few days. Unlike previous years, orientation will now focus more on the students’ easy adjustment to a new lifestyle at the University of Miami.According to Dr. Brian Orefice, director of orientation, the main goals are to ensure that students successfully engage in both social and academic integration. Orientation will now consist of smaller, more streamlined sessions.“We recognized that orientation is a process and not an event,” Orefice said. “After these first six days, we will continue to reach out to students throughout the semester, providing more in-depth information.”Centered on the theme “My choice, My future, Miami,” Orientation 2010 will also be more personalized for freshman, transfer and international students. While freshman orientation will emphasize tradition and spirit, international students will discuss coming to a new country and dealing with language barriers. Transfer students will have a shorter, two-day program that will focus on the unique aspects of the Coral Gables campus.Additionally, there will be a continuous outreach towards commuter students.“We want commuters to have mentors and resources,” Orefice said. “The Commuter Assistants are in more active positions and will help students early on from the Great Start program in the summer, to Orientation in the fall.” Student coordinators are especially ready to get this week started. After many hours of preparation, they are ready to share the experience they enjoyed their first year with new students.“I became an orientation leader because I had a great experience as a freshman and I wanted to provide that same, great ‘new experience’ at UM with other students,” said Maury Abascal, a rising senior majoring in marketing and motion pictures. “I think this year’s group of student leaders make the perfect group to guide our new students and provide them with the knowledge and information they will need to succeed.”The first meeting with orientation groups is scheduled for Aug. 19.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...