Freshman orientation teaches UM traditions

Orientation is a time when students can get their first taste of what it means to truly bleed orange and green. Six days of all-new activities are set to establish pride, tradition and love of alma mater.
Focusing on the fundamental first year of college, the orientation staff has been working hard to ensure that new students feel completely welcome and comfortable during their first few days. Unlike previous years, orientation will now focus more on the students’ easy adjustment to a new lifestyle at the University of Miami.
According to Dr. Brian Orefice, director of orientation, the main goals are to ensure that students successfully engage in both social and academic integration. Orientation will now consist of smaller, more streamlined sessions.
“We recognized that orientation is a process and not an event,” Orefice said. “After these first six days, we will continue to reach out to students throughout the semester, providing more in-depth information.”
Centered on the theme “My choice, My future, Miami,” Orientation 2010 will also be more personalized for freshman, transfer and international students. While freshman orientation will emphasize tradition and spirit, international students will discuss coming to a new country and dealing with language barriers. Transfer students will have a shorter, two-day program that will focus on the unique aspects of the Coral Gables campus.
Additionally, there will be a continuous outreach towards commuter students.
“We want commuters to have mentors and resources,” Orefice said. “The Commuter Assistants are in more active positions and will help students early on from the Great Start program in the summer, to Orientation in the fall.”
Student coordinators are especially ready to get this week started. After many hours of preparation, they are ready to share the experience they enjoyed their first year with new students.
“I became an orientation leader because I had a great experience as a freshman and I wanted to provide that same, great ‘new experience’ at UM with other students,” said Maury Abascal, a rising senior majoring in marketing and motion pictures.
“I think this year’s group of student leaders make the perfect group to guide our new students and provide them with the knowledge and information they will need to succeed.”
The first meeting with orientation groups is scheduled for Aug. 19.
Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Orientation is a time when students can get their first taste of what it means to truly bleed orange and green. Six days of all-new activities are set to establish pride, tradition and love of alma mater.Focusing on the fundamental first year of college, the orientation staff has been working hard to ensure that new students feel completely welcome and comfortable during their first few days. Unlike previous years, orientation will now focus more on the students’ easy adjustment to a new lifestyle at the University of Miami.According to Dr. Brian Orefice, director of orientation, the main goals are to ensure that students successfully engage in both social and academic integration. Orientation will now consist of smaller, more streamlined sessions.“We recognized that orientation is a process and not an event,” Orefice said. “After these first six days, we will continue to reach out to students throughout the semester, providing more in-depth information.”Centered on the theme “My choice, My future, Miami,” Orientation 2010 will also be more personalized for freshman, transfer and international students. While freshman orientation will emphasize tradition and spirit, international students will discuss coming to a new country and dealing with language barriers. Transfer students will have a shorter, two-day program that will focus on the unique aspects of the Coral Gables campus.Additionally, there will be a continuous outreach towards commuter students.“We want commuters to have mentors and resources,” Orefice said. “The Commuter Assistants are in more active positions and will help students early on from the Great Start program in the summer, to Orientation in the fall.” Student coordinators are especially ready to get this week started. After many hours of preparation, they are ready to share the experience they enjoyed their first year with new students.“I became an orientation leader because I had a great experience as a freshman and I wanted to provide that same, great ‘new experience’ at UM with other students,” said Maury Abascal, a rising senior majoring in marketing and motion pictures. “I think this year’s group of student leaders make the perfect group to guide our new students and provide them with the knowledge and information they will need to succeed.”The first meeting with orientation groups is scheduled for Aug. 19.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...