Free movies at Cosford

A movie at the Shops at Sunset Place will run you $10, and on the weekends, parking is a flat rate of $6.
For two hours of entertainment, why pay such high prices?
The Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) brings free movies to campus every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. And it’s just a walk from the dorms.
Part of the Hurricane Productions organization, the CAC is made up of a group of students who simply like to watch movies.
Members like movies so much that they have chosen to dedicate their time to bringing free showings to campus at the Bill Cosford Cinema, which is located in the Memorial Building.
In addition to the weekly showings, CAC hosts special events, providing University of Miami students with unique experiences. For instance, Vice Chair Joey Kadin’s favorite event is “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” screening.
“We’ve done it for two years now and completely filled the entire Cosford and even had to turn people away when we had two nights-worth of shows,” Kadin said. “Rocky is a cult classic…we partner with another HP group, QuantUM Entertainment, to have a full shadow cast acting out the movie in front of the screen. Everyone shows up in costume, and we hand out prop bags to all the audience members.”
This past semester’s final event was a special double feature of “American Beauty” and “American Psycho.”
“CAC likes to do double features or short festivals on occasion, of relating or contrasting films,” rising senior Derek Stuckert said. “So since we were showing ‘American Psycho,’ we thought it might be fun to show another American movie along with it.”
If you’re looking for something to do, looking to save some money or just looking for a good time, check out the Cosford Cinema.
“There is no reason not to take advantage of what we bring to campus. Everyone likes movies, they are free and CAC makes the experience cheeky and fun,” Stuckert said. “What more can you ask for?”
Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC)
Follow for updates on screenings, sneaks and more! twitter.com/CAC_Miami.
Meetings are Wednesdays @ 6:30 pm in UC 211.
Showings are Wednesday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema.
Encore showings are Saturday @ 10 p.m. & Sunday at 8 p.m.

Brooke Burgstahler may be contacted at bburgstahler@themiamihurricane.com.

Brooke Burgstahler

Contributing EDGE Writer

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...