Free movies at Cosford

A movie at the Shops at Sunset Place will run you $10, and on the weekends, parking is a flat rate of $6.
For two hours of entertainment, why pay such high prices?
The Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC) brings free movies to campus every Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. And it’s just a walk from the dorms.
Part of the Hurricane Productions organization, the CAC is made up of a group of students who simply like to watch movies.
Members like movies so much that they have chosen to dedicate their time to bringing free showings to campus at the Bill Cosford Cinema, which is located in the Memorial Building.
In addition to the weekly showings, CAC hosts special events, providing University of Miami students with unique experiences. For instance, Vice Chair Joey Kadin’s favorite event is “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” screening.
“We’ve done it for two years now and completely filled the entire Cosford and even had to turn people away when we had two nights-worth of shows,” Kadin said. “Rocky is a cult classic…we partner with another HP group, QuantUM Entertainment, to have a full shadow cast acting out the movie in front of the screen. Everyone shows up in costume, and we hand out prop bags to all the audience members.”
This past semester’s final event was a special double feature of “American Beauty” and “American Psycho.”
“CAC likes to do double features or short festivals on occasion, of relating or contrasting films,” rising senior Derek Stuckert said. “So since we were showing ‘American Psycho,’ we thought it might be fun to show another American movie along with it.”
If you’re looking for something to do, looking to save some money or just looking for a good time, check out the Cosford Cinema.
“There is no reason not to take advantage of what we bring to campus. Everyone likes movies, they are free and CAC makes the experience cheeky and fun,” Stuckert said. “What more can you ask for?”
Cinematic Arts Commission (CAC)
Follow for updates on screenings, sneaks and more! twitter.com/CAC_Miami.
Meetings are Wednesdays @ 6:30 pm in UC 211.
Showings are Wednesday at 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema.
Encore showings are Saturday @ 10 p.m. & Sunday at 8 p.m.

Brooke Burgstahler may be contacted at bburgstahler@themiamihurricane.com.

Brooke Burgstahler

Contributing EDGE Writer

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...