Four SAE brothers visit Haiti in relief effort

While weekends in college usually consist of relaxation and freedom, on the weekend of Feb. 19, four UM students instead traveled to Haiti as a relief effort.
After congregating under the leadership of UM alumnus, Peter Groverman, 120 people made the decision to travel to Haiti in order to help the victims of the Jan. 12 earthquake.
Among these 120 were four UM students, as well as Coral Gables Mayor Don Slesnick, II.
Groverman is no stranger to organizing relief efforts.
He first extended a helping hand when Hurricane Katrina hit Biloxi, Miss. in 2005 with the help of fellow UM students, now alumni, Armando Gutierrez, Jr. and Lori Bailey.
Groverman, a law student at Villanova University, along with Gutierrez and Bailey, founded the RELIEF Foundation, which stands for “Relieving and Embracing Lives Interrupted by Earth’s Forces.”
“As soon as the earthquake happened, I started receiving text messages from people with ideas that wanted to help,” Groverman said of his team.
He then reached out to members of the UM community, including those of his fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Four members of SAE answered the call for service.
Evan Gallo is one of those members who was eager to help.
“I was truly excited to go to Haiti and help out the members of their community,” he said. “I’ve always been involved in service, but this was definitely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of a hands-on experience that means a lot to me.”
Gallo, as well as three other SAE members, Michael Eisenstein, Elias Hionides and Joey Rappaport, got vaccinations, packed up supplies and contacted friends and family for donations to support their trips.
The crew left Feb. 22 at 8 a.m. out of Miami and returned three days later. Gallo was excited for their arrival in Port-au-Prince because Haitian Prime Minister Jean-Max Bellerive was there to greet them.
The final plans for the four-day mission included loading up a 737 airplane and a chartered boat with as many supplies as possible consisting of food, water and building supplies.
“Our main goal was to help rebuild an orphanage in Port-au-Prince by setting up a tent and delivering supplies to those in need and then by just being there for these people,” Gallo said of the trip.
Colleen Dourney may be contacted at cdourney@themiamihurricane.com.

Colleen Dourney

Contributing Writer

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...