For University of Miami students, by UM students

This past semester, QuantUM Entertainment, a student-run theater group, brought three new plays to the University of Miami free of charge.
The organization, part of Hurricane Productions, puts on several plays and musicals throughout the year, and students are in charge of every aspect of each show.
“All positions- designers, crew, actors, directors and producers- are students,” said Joanna Lamb, vice chair of QuantUM. “Students who participate in QuantUM can come from any major, and there are no prerequisites for participation.”
Technical director Katie Sikora is the perfect example.
“I was a theater nerd in middle school and high school and didn’t have that outlet when I got to college as a marine affairs and visual journalism double major,” Sikora said. “So my second semester of freshman year, one of my friends put me on the listserv for QuantUM, and I ended up as co-producer of the last two productions of the spring semester.”
“Songs for a New World” went off without a hitch  during the month of February at the School of Communication Courtyard. “Fat Men in Skirts” took the stage in mid-April and “Ben” to conclude the semester.
In the musical “Songs for a New World,” which features works written by composer Jason Robert Brown, a variety of unique characters are linked by one common theme.
Lamb felt very passionate about the showing of this musical at UM.
“I think this show is especially relevant for college students because it addresses the pivotal moments in life when one decision can change everything,” Lamb said. “Everyone who comes to the show may take a different message away from it, but I know that everyone will enjoy the beautiful music and phenomenal acting of our great cast.”
Lamb also said that this was a show that most UM students had never seen before, and was excited to bring something new to  UM.
“Since those working on the show are entirely students, the shows themselves are always fresh and innovative because it is your fellow students with the vision,” QuantUM treasurer Kathleen Molinaro said.
Best of all, shows are free for UM students, faculty and staff.
“Our shows are free because our funding comes from the student activity fees that every student pays,” Lamb said. “If you come to a QuantUM event, you’re getting use out of your own student activity fee!”

Brooke Burgstahler may be contacted at bburgstahler@themiamihurricane.com.

Brooke Burgstahler

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “For University of Miami students, by UM students”

1. Mariscale says:

If you cant try things on for size when you’re in college ferheavensake, then when CAN you do it?! Go For It UM drama students – break it out!

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...