Enjoy food and games at the Rat

Looking for the best place to watch University of Miami football games?
It might be a lot closer than you think. It might also be your favorite place to grab a bite to eat between classes.
The Rathskeller, UM’s hot spot and campus landmark, has been hosting UM tailgates or watch parties for several away football games and basketball games.
According to tailgate chair Ali Levenson, the Rathskeller Advisory Board (RAB), which operates under Hurricane Productions, hosts these tailgates completely free of charge.
“There’s always plenty of free food and we often play games that involve winning a ton of free giveaways,” Levenson said.
Rising junior Kristen Chuber, who has attended the events in the past, said the tailgates are the next best thing to watching the real game.
“When you think about a game you think of fried food and guys yelling, and the Rat delivers the full experience,” Chuber said.
According to Rat employee Christine Ira, the crowd at the Rat during the tailgates is usually only Hurricane fans.
“When you come here, it’s all green and orange, and the energy is so much more heightened,” Ira said.
Tailgate regulars have described the events as watching a game with 300 of your closest friends.
“For Miami games, it’s awesome to be with a bunch of people your own age,” said recent graduate Zach Burkowski, who is a regular.
Spirit and adoration for the Hurricanes is one thing that brings students to the Rat for tailgates, but the setup isn’t too bad either.
“You don’t ever get to watch a game on a 200-inch pull-down screen unless it’s at the Rat,” Burkowski said.
TOP MENU ITEMS
  • Walker’s Chicken Fingers
  • Nia’s BUFF-alo Wings
  • The Bergman
  • RAB’s Fish and Chips
  • Milkshake of the Month

Brooke Burgstahler may be contacted at bburgstahler@themiamihurricane.com.

Brooke Burgstahler

Contributing EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...