Advice from Paris for students studying abroad

Rising senior Claudia Curiel, who studied abroad in Paris through the Inter-university Mission for Coordination of Franco-American Exchanges, offers her advice for others looking to study abroad in the future.
1) Research the programs available to you and ask others’ opinions before you decide. I was told there was only one program available in Paris, but I found out later you could do a few others that are not always mentioned or encouraged. I would never take back this opportunity, but I would do it differently.
My program is completely laissez-faire, there are no living arrangements and you must find housing on your own. It was truly a mission since you are going to classes at the same time and most places in Paris are tiny, old, dirty and overpriced. I also had to choose my own university and classes; I thought it was very unorganized and unstructured.
2) Have living arrangements sorted out prior to the beginning of your program. I was given a dorm for 10 days and by the end of that I had to find a place to live. I did not know anyone and luckily found my roommate through an acquaintance. Everything ends up working out; don’t stress.
3) Do not overpack. During your time abroad you will accumulate so much that going back will be even more difficult than getting there. My parents came with me to help me during the apartment search so I was unfortunately able to bring an excessive amount of clothes in my luggage as well as theirs. This turned out to be a very negative thing.
4) Do take advantage of traveling. Especially if you study in Europe, everything is so close and there are discounts just for being under 25 or a student. Unlike Miami, where you drive for seven hours and remain in Florida, you can get to another country in just two hours and stay there for the weekend.
5) Do not worry about meeting people. I had a small freak-out right before embarking on my study abroad trip. I knew no one and had no idea who I would live with or hang out with. Despite my worry, I could never have made a better decision in my life. In the past three months I have met so many amazing people, including two princes, and friends from all over the world.
6) Recognize that we are spoiled in the United States in terms of space and convenience. Everything is much smaller in Europe, and in France there is a protocol for everything.
Tasks that are extremely simple back home can be a mission while abroad. Back home you can fix almost anything through the phone or online, whereas in Europe you need to show up in person to get almost anything accomplished.
7)  Enjoy your time abroad. You don’t know when you’ll have the opportunity to live in another country again without worrying about major responsibilities.
Go see and do everything that is available in your city including going to museums, parks and monuments. Go out, have fun, meet people, establish relationships and travel!
Claudia Curiel may be contacted at ccuriel@themiamihurricane.com.

Claudia Curiel

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Advice from Paris for students studying abroad”

1. Jackie says:

Great tips Claudia! I would love to hear more about your travels and for you to post on about your travels on http://www.PinkPangea.com.

Cheers,
    Jackie

2. Jackie says:

Hi Claudia,

Fascinating tips! How were you able to get over your worry about meeting people?

It would be great if you could post about your travels to Germany, providing anecdotes and photos from your time abroad on http://www.pinkpangea.com/. You might also want to provide tips for women travelers who also want to get out there!

I look forward to hearing more about your experiences abroad!

Hope to hear from you soon,

Jackie
    Jaclyn@pinkpangea.com

3. paris4u2010 says:

Paris is always Loved and be always loving so… living i Paris is a Beautiful dreams and i am stepping towards it..!!!Thanks for such Lovely advice for Students….!! LIVING IN PARIS

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...