Football

Prized recruit Seantrel Henderson Miami bound

Courtesy of Cretin-Derham Hall

Less than 24 hours after LeBron James rocked the waves on South Beach by announcing his intentions to sign with the Miami Heat, South Florida got another big commitment, this time of the college variety.

Highly regarded offensive lineman Seantrel Henderson chose to attend the University of Miami after being released from his scholarship by the University of Southern California three days ago.

Henderson is 6-foot-8 and 340 pounds and immediately becomes the prized gem in fourth year head coach Randy Shannon’s recruiting class. The St. Paul, Minnesota native originally announced on national signing day his plans to play for head coach Lane Kiffin at USC.

Henderson has drawn comparisons to former Hurricane standout Bryant McKinnie. Henderson was rated the No. 2 best player regardless of position according to rivals.com for the class of 2010.

He was released of his scholarship after USC was placed on probation. Henderson will be eligible to play in the fall and should have an immediate impact.

The news was first reported by the New York Times. Henderson’s Facebook profile picture is a logo of “The U.” His Facebook status as of 3:30 p.m. on Friday was “IT’S ALL ABOUT THE ‘U’!”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Prized recruit Seantrel Henderson Miami bound”

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...