Construction of internal road post-poned

When students heard of plans to construct an internal road through the Coral Gables campus, many rejected the proposal that would cut through five exhibits housed in the John C. Gifford arboretum, and even held a recent student protest. Now, University of Miami administrators are rethinking ways in which to best accomodate those on the Coral Gables campus.

The Coral Gables Zoning and Building department has approved UM’s request for an extension of the deadline for completion of Phase I of the internal road. Phase I includes the redesign of the Miller Road intersection and connection of the parking lots from the School of Law to the south end of the arboretum. Now, UM has until August 31, 2011, to complete Phase I.

In an e-mail sent to the UM community, Senior Vice President for Business and Finance and Chief Financial Officer Joe Natoli attributed the extension to the reevaluation of options for improving campus circulation, protecting green space and enhancing the campus.

“Those issues and others will be discussed with Coral Gables officials in an effort to find solutions that best serve our constituencies, including the students, faculty, staff and neighbors of the university,” said Natoli.

The construction will be conducted in two phases as part of the 2006 University of Miami Campus Area Development (UMCAD) Master Plan. In the e-mail, Natoli invited suggestions concerning the development of the internal road to be sent to jnatoli@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com

June 2, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer