Construction of internal road post-poned

When students heard of plans to construct an internal road through the Coral Gables campus, many rejected the proposal that would cut through five exhibits housed in the John C. Gifford arboretum, and even held a recent student protest. Now, University of Miami administrators are rethinking ways in which to best accomodate those on the Coral Gables campus.

The Coral Gables Zoning and Building department has approved UM’s request for an extension of the deadline for completion of Phase I of the internal road. Phase I includes the redesign of the Miller Road intersection and connection of the parking lots from the School of Law to the south end of the arboretum. Now, UM has until August 31, 2011, to complete Phase I.

In an e-mail sent to the UM community, Senior Vice President for Business and Finance and Chief Financial Officer Joe Natoli attributed the extension to the reevaluation of options for improving campus circulation, protecting green space and enhancing the campus.

“Those issues and others will be discussed with Coral Gables officials in an effort to find solutions that best serve our constituencies, including the students, faculty, staff and neighbors of the university,” said Natoli.

The construction will be conducted in two phases as part of the 2006 University of Miami Campus Area Development (UMCAD) Master Plan. In the e-mail, Natoli invited suggestions concerning the development of the internal road to be sent to jnatoli@miami.edu.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com

June 2, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...