New College of Arts and Sciences dean appointed

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Yet another prominent leader in education has joined the University of Miami’s administrative team.

Leonidas Bachas, a distinguished analytical and biological chemist, will join the College of Arts and Sciences as dean of the largest of UM’s 12 schools and colleges.

Currently the chair of the University of Kentucky’s Department of Chemistry, Bachas has served as a member of the board of directors of the Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry, chaired the Lexington Section of the American Chemical Society and served on the Kentucky Academy of Science, Committee on Science and Government.

“Dr. Bachas is a highly respected scientist with a strong background in education and administration,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a press release. “The College of Arts and Sciences will benefit greatly from his experience in academic leadership, as well as from his multidisciplinary approach to the humanities and scientific research.”

Bachas’ service as associate dean of research and academic programs of the University of Kentucky’s College of Arts and Sciences from 2004 to 2009 has given him experience working across several platforms. Among Bachas’ main priorities at the University of Kentucky were mentoring young instructors and researchers, promoting interdisciplinary studies and fostering a diverse environment.

“A diverse college enhances the overall experience of all students and faculty,” said Bachas, in a press release. “I value interdisciplinary activities as a major contributor to research, scholarship and learning.”

Bachas says he aims to build and maintain relationships with the other schools and colleges at UM, as well as establish new collaborative initiatives that address climate change, energy, life sciences, global health and social problems.

“I am excited and humbled to be able to work with the College of Arts and Sciences’ excellent faculty and staff to expand and blur the boundaries of knowledge, address and solve world issues and prepare world-ready citizens,” he said.

May 19, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...