New College of Arts and Sciences dean appointed

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Yet another prominent leader in education has joined the University of Miami’s administrative team.

Leonidas Bachas, a distinguished analytical and biological chemist, will join the College of Arts and Sciences as dean of the largest of UM’s 12 schools and colleges.

Currently the chair of the University of Kentucky’s Department of Chemistry, Bachas has served as a member of the board of directors of the Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry, chaired the Lexington Section of the American Chemical Society and served on the Kentucky Academy of Science, Committee on Science and Government.

“Dr. Bachas is a highly respected scientist with a strong background in education and administration,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a press release. “The College of Arts and Sciences will benefit greatly from his experience in academic leadership, as well as from his multidisciplinary approach to the humanities and scientific research.”

Bachas’ service as associate dean of research and academic programs of the University of Kentucky’s College of Arts and Sciences from 2004 to 2009 has given him experience working across several platforms. Among Bachas’ main priorities at the University of Kentucky were mentoring young instructors and researchers, promoting interdisciplinary studies and fostering a diverse environment.

“A diverse college enhances the overall experience of all students and faculty,” said Bachas, in a press release. “I value interdisciplinary activities as a major contributor to research, scholarship and learning.”

Bachas says he aims to build and maintain relationships with the other schools and colleges at UM, as well as establish new collaborative initiatives that address climate change, energy, life sciences, global health and social problems.

“I am excited and humbled to be able to work with the College of Arts and Sciences’ excellent faculty and staff to expand and blur the boundaries of knowledge, address and solve world issues and prepare world-ready citizens,” he said.

May 19, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “New College of Arts and Sciences dean appointed”

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...