Football

Randy Shannon signs four-year contract extension

Randy Shannon. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Head football coach Randy Shannon signed a new four-year contract extension Wednesday night, the University of Miami announced. Shannon was entering the final year of his orginial deal but the new contract gives him security and will help recruiting.

Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt has continued to support Shannon and believes the extension is well deserved.

“We are very proud of the positive steps our football prgram has taken under the leadership of Coach Shannon,” Hocutt said in a released statement. “With a commitment to excellence in the classroom, in the community and in competition, we are well on our way, once again, to the top of the college football world.”

Shannon is 21-17 in his three years as head coach. He is 0-2 in bowl games. Shannon’s first recruiting class was ranked the best in the nation by ESPN. Those student-athletes will be juniors come the fall so much is expected of them.

Hocutt expects a national title every season, but knows reviving a football program is a gradual process and believes the 2010 squad is capable of competing for an ACC Championship.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

May 12, 2010

Justin Antweil

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...