Football

Randy Shannon signs four-year contract extension

Randy Shannon. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Head football coach Randy Shannon signed a new four-year contract extension Wednesday night, the University of Miami announced. Shannon was entering the final year of his orginial deal but the new contract gives him security and will help recruiting.

Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt has continued to support Shannon and believes the extension is well deserved.

“We are very proud of the positive steps our football prgram has taken under the leadership of Coach Shannon,” Hocutt said in a released statement. “With a commitment to excellence in the classroom, in the community and in competition, we are well on our way, once again, to the top of the college football world.”

Shannon is 21-17 in his three years as head coach. He is 0-2 in bowl games. Shannon’s first recruiting class was ranked the best in the nation by ESPN. Those student-athletes will be juniors come the fall so much is expected of them.

Hocutt expects a national title every season, but knows reviving a football program is a gradual process and believes the 2010 squad is capable of competing for an ACC Championship.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

May 12, 2010

Justin Antweil

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...