Football

Randy Shannon signs four-year contract extension

Randy Shannon. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Head football coach Randy Shannon signed a new four-year contract extension Wednesday night, the University of Miami announced. Shannon was entering the final year of his orginial deal but the new contract gives him security and will help recruiting.

Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt has continued to support Shannon and believes the extension is well deserved.

“We are very proud of the positive steps our football prgram has taken under the leadership of Coach Shannon,” Hocutt said in a released statement. “With a commitment to excellence in the classroom, in the community and in competition, we are well on our way, once again, to the top of the college football world.”

Shannon is 21-17 in his three years as head coach. He is 0-2 in bowl games. Shannon’s first recruiting class was ranked the best in the nation by ESPN. Those student-athletes will be juniors come the fall so much is expected of them.

Hocutt expects a national title every season, but knows reviving a football program is a gradual process and believes the 2010 squad is capable of competing for an ACC Championship.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

May 12, 2010

Justin Antweil

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...