Student with toy gun apprehended on campus

After receiving an anonymous phone call reporting a male student with a gun on campus, UM Police apprehended a film student entering the Mahoney/Pearson Dining Hall Wednesday afternoon.

The student, whose name the Police Department is choosing not to disclose, was carrying three toy guns that had been covered in black paint to make them appear more realistic. The student was using the fake guns for a school project.

An Emergency Notification Network message was sent to the student body at 2:12 via text message, giving the all clear.

The message was sent after the student was stopped and said, “UM Police handled report of man w toy gun. The man is in custody. The campus safe.”

The late notification from the UM Police Department left many students wondering what exactly had happened and why a message had not been sent sooner.

“I got a text about an hour after I saw police cars all over campus. I received an e-mail even later,” said Danny Parra, a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and Latin American studies. “I had no idea why there were cops everywhere until well after I left campus.”

According to UM Chief of Police David Rivero, the all clear was the only message sent because the police response to the situation was faster than the ENN response.

“We were going to send an original warning, but the police apprehended the student so quickly we ended up just sending an FYI saying ‘If you saw the police, it was because of this,’” said Rivero.

What students saw were police officers on the University Green with assault rifles, ordering students to remain indoors.

“I see why, with some incidents like the Virginia Tech shooting, such a response would be called for. It’s good they were ready just in case, but they probably caused more panic than anything else,” said Michael Alegro, a junior majoring in accounting.

The student will not be pressed with criminal charges and is now in the custody of the Dean of Students.

May 5, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Student with toy gun apprehended on campus”

1. Wow says:

Great reporting. Good job Hurricane staff!

A heap of preseason accolades are being showered daily on the University of Miami football players. ...

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...