“Lost Souls Like Us” album a mixed bag

Courtesy Rock Ridge Music

The Baton Rouge-based duo Benjy Davis Project’s fourth album, “Lost Souls Like Us” features personal lyrics and lush instrumentation, bringing the mandolin, slide guitar, piano and organ into the typical rock mix.

The album is made to fit the shuffle habits of iPod users, but as a result it does not hold together as a cohesive unit.

Davis’ smooth smoky voice carries the album through a mix of rock, folk and indie-pop with just enough southern flare so even those who readily shun country music will not be turned off. Each song is a story in and of itself with relationships being a prevalent theme.

The album has some weak tracks but there are many worth listening to.

The opening track, “Mississippi,” is an upbeat ode to the state neighboring the duo’s home state of Louisiana. The next track “Get High” is a jaunty tune about taking life slow and hanging out with friends, with a catchy chorus that will be sure to have you signing along.

On “Stay With Me,” the album’s feature single, Davis’ dark timbre voice contrasts with bright mandolins, in a melancholy song about holding on to a fading relationship.

Another standout track is “Slow Wind.” The blend of piano, acoustic guitar and slide guitar create a charming backdrop for Davis’ nostalgic reflection on childhood and the passing of time. The lyrics of “Check Your Pockets” are the highlight of the song, as Davis sings about rediscovering old memories and running into a childhood crush.

Fans of John Mayer, Jason Mraz and Sister Hazel will probably enjoy this album. While some songs on “Lost Souls Like Us” will be easily forgotten, there are others that are definite gems.

“Lost Souls Like Us”

Rating: ¾ stars

Released: March 2

Label: Rock Ridge Music

Produced by: Bobby Capps and Jason Spiewak

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...