Hurry ‘Canes shuttle changes coming next semester

The Hurry ‘Canes shuttle routes will be undergoing significant changes beginning in the fall 2010 semester.

According to an e-mail sent to The Miami Hurricane, these changes are being implemented to “boost the efficiency of service to the university community while reducing fuel usage and trimming costs.”

The university plans to make shuttle rides more efficient for students by changing the current route schedule. The new schedule will include two shuttle routes, the Ponce Garage/Fountain Route and the Ponce Garage/Stanford Circle Route, with 14 stops.

There will be four fewer stops along these routes than before, reducing the wait time between buses to five to eight minutes. According to the e-mail, this should improve service to 95 percent of shuttle riders.

“I’m glad to hear that they’re doing something about it,” said junior Loubna Turjuman, who is majoring in broadcast journalism and psychology. “I stopped using the shuttle because every time I wanted to use it, I was waiting for about half an hour and I was always getting to class late.”

These changes, however, will impact certain groups of shuttle riders more than others. Metrorail riders will now have to switch shuttles at the Ponce Garage to reach stops on the Fountain Route; Mahoney/Pearson residents will use Stanford Circle as their pick-up/drop-off point; and University Village residents, will use either the Brescia stop or the Hecht Athletic Center stop to access shuttles. Both of those stops are a five-minute walk from the farthest UV apartment.

While shuttle changes can be an inconvenience for some students, shuttle availability is their biggest concern.

“I don’t really care about the changes. As long as I have a shuttle to take me where I need to go, it doesn’t make a difference to me,” said UV resident Nikolaus Rizos, a senior majoring in broadcast journalism and geography.

The nighttime shuttle schedule will not be changing.

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...