FlowFest benefits Haitian orphanage

The new student coalition UM Student Activist Alliance (UMSAA) partnered up with a local non-profit organization to host FlowFest, a multimedia event in the UC Patio on Wednesday highlighting the availability of fresh water worldwide and donating proceeds to a Haitian orphanage.

With the help of Konbit For Haiti, a 501 (c)(3) organization based in Little Haiti, student groups igKnite, Random Acts of Kindness, WVUM 90.5 and the Haitian Student Organization, or collectively UMSAA, organized a free concert and documentary screening with artists like Jahfe, LaGuardia Cross, Michael “Mikaben” Benjamin, Maeva the Artist, Final Second and Sekajipo Genes to benefit Haiti relief efforts and encourage activism.

A component of the UM student-led workshop, “Flow: Uniting Children’s Visions on Water and the World,” the benefit concert featured a silent auction of photographs taken by nine middle school children on the subject of water.

“We had a workshop over the weekend at Konbit offices near little Haiti and invited middle school kids from the area and taught them about water scarcity and pollution,” said Gustavo Lang, Jr., president of Random Acts of Kindness.

“We asked them to go out and take pictures of water within the context of their community,” Lang said. “Pictures of a drain, a water bottle, or just water itself- whatever represented water to them.”

Proceeds of the silent auction will be donated to Shalom Village orphanage in Cap-Haitien, Haiti, as part of UMSAA’s continuous campaign to help Haitian earthquake victims. The photographs, being auctioned for $15 each, were displayed in the UC Patio alongside artisan jewelry, free Haitian food and related student groups who tabled at the event.

One student group in particular, Soley Ini, helped raise awareness about their current CGIU-proposed project to build community centers in Site Soley, Port-Au-Prince.

“We actually built a community center; it started to get off the ground, and then the earthquake happened so we’re starting all over again,” said Lissette Miller, president of Soley Ini. “We’re hoping to fund-raise on campus to get our projects off the ground.”

You can learn more about FlowFest at igknite.org/projects/flow or watch videos of the Flow workshop in Little Haiti on the School of Communication’s project kozeayiti.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=170″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...