Alumnus inspired by father’s achievements

Courtesy Media Relations

Marc Buoniconti is following in his father’s footsteps once again.

A University of Miami alumnus and former college football player, Buoniconti is joining his father Nick Buoniconti, a former Dolphins middle linebacker, in the UM Board of Trustees.

After Buoniconti sustained a spinal cord injury during a football game in 1985, his father, a UM National Trustee, and Barth Green, a UM professor and chairman of neurological surgery, helped found The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis for which Buoniconti is currently the spokesperson.

He has also received various honors from the University of Miami, including the Henry K. Stanford Award and membership in Iron Arrow. This nomination to the Board of Trustees, however, is the most exciting honor for Buoniconti.

“This is more hands on which I’m glad about, ceremonial things are really nice but getting your hands dirty and getting involved in actual operations is something I’m looking forward to doing and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into Board operations,” he said.

As the main branch responsible for governing UM, the board meets three times a year to vote on issues concerning the university, including whether or not to reinstate the president. It currently consists of 12 standing committees that deal with organizational, business and academic affairs.

There are 48 elected members, three alumni representatives, 23 senior members, four national members, six ex-officio members, 14 emeriti members and one student representative that serve the board.

Next year’s student representative will be second-year medical student Joshua Moore. As a full-fledged trustee with voting privileges, Moore’s responsibilities will include attending all board meetings and serving as a liaison between the student body and the board, making sure the students from all UM campuses are considered in the voting process.

“A lot of undergrad students may not know me, but I hope they will feel comfortable e-mailing me, calling me or stopping me when they see me in the library to share their ideas,” Moore said. “I want to leave the university better than it was when I first got here.”

Moore is also excited about working with Buoniconti for the following year.

“I think it’s great that he got elected. I got a chance to meet his dad, his dad is awesome, and his story is so inspiring,” he said. “He has done so much good for so many people.”

Buoniconti hopes to continue helping his community and his alma mater by working on the Board of Trustees.

“I think initially I’m going to be a very good listener. I want to absorb the initiatives that are going on right now and get a sense of where the board is headed, its going to be a learning process,” Buoniconti said. “I’m going to go in there with an open mind, very humble of course, and anywhere I see that I can lend a hand and be a part of I’m going to jump at with a lot of enthusiasm and teamwork to further the mission of the university.”

Alexandra Leon may be contacted at aleon@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer