Things in Washington really are changing

In a recent column, Danny Hanlon asserted that under Democrats, “Action and effectiveness have been replaced by months of soaring speeches that promise action but are only precursors to more waiting and political bloviating.”

Aside from the fact that I didn’t know what it meant to bloviate, I was confused. Isn’t it precisely due to this administration and the Democrats’ actions that Republicans and Sarah Palin’s tea-people party are so up in arms?

Republicans have plenty to talk about come November, but it would be positively silly for them to run on the notion that this president and his party are long on talk and short on action.

Allow me to delineate some of their actions over the last year and a half. President Obama, often in conjunction with the Democratic Congress, has successfully negotiated a nuclear arms reduction treaty between the world’s largest nuclear powers; implemented new strategies in Afghanistan and Iraq, the latter of which was expressly backed by one-time opponent John McCain; signed equal pay legislation; widened rights for same-sex couples visiting hospitals; invested in our country’s infrastructure; overturned the ban on stem-cell research; ended torture and managed to pass a decades-in-the-making health reform bill, which is predicted to decrease the deficit by hundreds of billions and increase the number of those insured by 32 million.

As for the economy, retail and home sales are up, job losses are slowing, the GDP is growing again and the stock market is soaring. According to almost every prominent economist, we are in the midst of a recovery.

Under Obama, we’ve moved from an economic free-fall to a climb away from the brink of depression. Shortly after Obama became president, I invested in the stock market and I’ve more than doubled my money. And while Democrats may lose seats in Congress, as history dictates they will, I’ll put my money on the Democrats in the long run.

Pat Cunnane is a senior majoring in political science and journalism. He may be contacted at pcunnane@themiamihurricane.com.

Pat Cunnane

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Things in Washington really are changing”

1. Adam says:

let me get this straight… These are good things? Passing a “healthcare” bill that 60% of our country was against, that will increase prices and limit care?! Reducing nuclear armaments of lawful countries, while rogue nations like Iran and N. Korea ramp up!? Creating a trillion dollar slush fund “stimulus” that is primarily used to buy votes in congress.. Racking up a debt in the first year and a half that is four times what Bush did in 8 years. I’m not even gonna comment on the torture thing, you’re simply an idiot. “Mr. President, thank you for arousing the sleeping, silent majority, because we have been asleep too long.” November is coming!

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...