Service doesn’t mean sass

I am continually shocked at how often I see people treating employees poorly. These poor individuals are working for too little money to deal with crappy customers (hopefully not like you) every day, so cut them some slack.

At Chicken Kitchen, a businessman in suit demanded chop chicken with oriental sauce, only to be completely outraged when he heard they were out of the condiment close to the end of restaurant hours, declaring that it “ruined everything.”

If being out of sauce ruins everything (your four dollar meal), I can’t imagine what other hyperboles you have up your sleeve over other frivolous, daily mishaps; I’d also be too scared to see how you deal with fluctuations in the stock market.

Another man at Publix was intimidating the deli employee, putting his face up against the glass and scrutinizing the sweet lady as she applied each topping to his sandwich. He thrived on her messing up so he could light up like the man undergoing surgery in the board game, Operation. He only expressed discontent way after the deed was done to see her twitch.

Working in customer service is a humbling experience and makes one more sympathetic towards people who are the victims of others’ unnecessary irritability. I hated it so much I could only take a week of working at a pool-side snack shop.

For some reason, anything that entails an exchange makes some extremely wary, but I don’t understand: you don’t look over the chef’s shoulder when he’s preparing your $35 entrée at Houston’s, and if it’s unreasonably not to your liking, it still becomes a sunk cost.

So why would you get “all up in arms” over food that is comparatively way cheaper and inconsequential and will probably be forgotten about as soon as it’s no longer on your plate? Plus, you’ve probably ruined someone’s day with your superfluous drama.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com. His blog is posted on perturbedheaven.blogspot.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Service doesn’t mean sass”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...