Minus the Bear’s new album “Omni” fun but long

Courtesy Big Hassle Media

Minus the Bear is one of those longhaired, bearded indie bands that’s not trying to be a poser. The Seattle quintet has been indie before “indie” was cool (circa 2001), playing its own brand of evolutionary prog-noise-rock without conforming to popular standards. Minus the Bear’s fourth full-length album, “Omni,” takes a more raw approach than previous albums, resulting in a recording most like their live shows.
By tirelessly rehearsing songs before recording and cutting down on studio overdubs and post-production effects, Minus the Bear reemerged with a more congealed sound. Subsequently, “Omni” is more streamlined than any of the band’s previous three albums. The ten tracks on the album retain the synth-pop style for which Minus the Bear is known, but “Omni” really emphasizes basic elements such as melody, harmony and structural flow.
“Omni” kicks off with lead song and single “My Time,” a mid-tempo tune with a funky keyboard riff and call and response chorus from singer Jake Snider. Next, the summer playlist must-have, “Summer Angel,” melds Alex Rose’s rhythmic synth playing with a fitting guitar solo from Dave Knudson.
The only downside to “Omni” is its length. For a 10-song album, “Omni” clocks in at almost 50 minutes. Songs on the latter part of the album tend to have extended endings that become redundant and zone-out worthy. Overall though, “Omni” is a fun record that showcases the band’s evolution. Be sure to catch Minus the Bear headlining at Revolution on Tues., May 11.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Release Date: May 4, 2010

Producer: Joe Chiccarelli

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at hsaunders@themiamihurricane.com.

Label: Dangerbird Records

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...