Arizona’s new law ineffective

With the signature of Gov. Jan Brewer, Arizona legalized three things: distrust amongst local police and the state’s 790,000 foreign-born residents, racial profiling and an ineffective policy.

Arizona Senate Bill 1070 mandates that legal immigrants always be in possession of their alien registration documents. Police officers now have the power to question whether a person is a legal immigrant at any time.

Under the new law, an illegal immigrant would simply be out of their mind to report a murder, a rape or another crime that urgently requires the attention of authorities. They would be insane to interact with the police at all.

The Pew Hispanic Research Center estimates that about 500,000 illegal immigrants currently reside in Arizona. Clearly, the presence of illegal foreigners in the state is a problem, particularly because of the financial burden they place on municipalities.

However, ostracizing them as civil participants and good samaritans isn’t the way to solve this problem. Instead, the state should concentrate more on securing the border, deporting those illegal immigrants that are convicted of crimes and other sensible options.

Illegal immigrants that abide peacefully by federal and state laws should be afforded the right to amnesty, a path to citizenship and the duty to pay taxes. Seeking the deportation of 500,000 people isn’t a feasible option, particularly when Arizona is hurting financially and the nation is barely recovering from a crippling economic recession.

In 2007, Arizona led all states in the size of their massive budget deficit. It now has a deficit of about $2.6  billion for FY2011. The state collects income taxes. Hell, we know every state in the union could certainly use more tax revenue these days, does it really matter who this revenue comes from?

What’s worse is that the governor issued an executive order to increase funding for programs to teach police officers how to distinguish between legal and illegal immigrants without racially profiling. That’s simply naïve.

Ramon Galiana is a junior majoring in print journalism, political science and international studies. He may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Arizona’s new law ineffective”

1. Victoria Genuardi says:

Excellent column, Ramon! I totally agree!

2. Montana says:

Arizona can pass race base laws, pass Birthers laws and the state can continue to boycott Martin Luther King Day, well the rest of the Country can boycott the state of Arizona and spank them where it hurts them the most their pocket book. Their phony patriotism is sickening, they are just racists going by another name. We all know you are just itching to put a sheet on their head? Let’s face it the Republicans had eight years to deal with health care, immigration, climate change and financial oversight and governance and they failed. It appears that the Republican Party is only good at starting wars (two in eight years, with fat War profiteering contracts to friends of Cheney/Bush) but not at winning wars as seen by the continuing line of body bags that keep coming home. The Republicans party will continue turned inward to their old fashion obstructionist party (and their Confederacy appreciation roots) because they continue to allow a small portions (but very loud portion) of their party of “birthers, baggers and blowhards” to rule their party. I will admit that this fringe is very good at playing “Follow the Leader” by listening to their dullard leaders, Beck, Hedgecock, Hannity, O’Reilly, Rush, Savage, Sarah Bailin, Orly Taitz, Victoria Jackson, Michele Bachmann and the rest of the Blowhards and acting as ill programmed robots (they have already acted against doctors that perform abortions). The Birthers and the Tea party crowd think they can scare, intimidate and force others to go along with them by comments like “This time we came unarmed”, let me tell you something not all ex-military join the fringe militia crazies who don’t pay taxes and run around with face paint in the parks playing commando, the majority are mature and understand that the world is more complicated and grey than the black and white that these simpleton make it out to be and that my friend is the point. The world is complicated and people like Hamilton, Lincoln, and Roosevelt believed that we should use government a little to increase social mobility, now it’s about dancing around the claim of government is the problem. The sainted Reagan passed the biggest tax increase in American history and as a result federal employment increased, but facts are lost when mired in mysticism and superstition. For a party that gave us Abraham Lincoln, it is tragic that the ranks are filled with too many empty suits and the crazy Birthers who have not learned that the way our courts work is that you get a competent lawyer, verifiable facts and present them to a judge, if the facts are real and not half baked internet lies, then, and only then, do you proceed to trial. The Birthers seem to be having a problem with their so called “facts”. Let’s face it no one will take the Birthers seriously until they win a case, but until then, you will continue to appear dumb, crazy or racist, or maybe all three. I heard that Orly Taitz now wants to investigate the “Republican 2009 Summer of Love” list: Assemblyman, Michael D. Duvall (CA), Senator John Ensign (NV), Senator Paul Stanley (TN), Governor Mark Stanford (SC), Board of Ed Chair, and Kristin Maguire AKA Bridget Keeney (SC), she wants to re-establish a family values party, that’s like saying that the Catholic Church cares about the welling being of children in their care, too late for that.

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...