Trespasser seen on campus

On Monday at approximately 12:45 p.m., the University of Miami Police Department issued an e-mail “safety alert” to the university community about a former student who is banned on all UM campuses.
Rafael Chinchilla, 26, was reported by the police to be 5 feet and 6 inches in height and 195 pounds.
Chincilla, according to police, is a former student who is under a no-trespass warning. He has reportedly harassed numerous university officials.
“UM Police and the Division of Student Affairs are monitoring this situation closely, and with this notice, we are making the campus community aware of this potential threat,” read the e-mail. “If you see him on campus, you are urged to call University of Miami Police immediately. Be prepared to provide a current description, location, direction and method of travel.”
When asked, UMPD would not issue a comment on the suspect.
According to Miami-Dade County public records, Chinchilla was charged with disorderly intoxication in a case filed on April 18, 2005.
If you spot Chinchilla on campus, or if you have tips as to his whereabouts, UMPD asks that you call 305-284-6666.
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

INFOBOX
– Report all emergencies immediately by calling 911.
– Report all suspicious activity immediately by calling 305-284-6666.
– To request a UM Police safety escort, call 305-284-6666 or use any blue light telephone.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for personal safety information.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for more information on self-defense programs.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...