Swamp Stomp 2010 to be even bigger and better

Swamp Stomp, an annual outdoor music festival, is back for another year of tunes and fun on Virginia Key in Key Biscayne.

Started in 2007 by a few friends including University of Miami ’08 alumnus Parker Smith, Swamp Stomp is a growing music festival that showcases a variety of quirky acts, ranging from reggae to electronica. Some of this year’s lineup includes The Lee Boys, Jahfe and UM’s own Beckham County Trainwreck.

“I loved it last year, and it was my first time going,” senior Missy Walton said. “Everybody was just having a good time listening to a great variety of music, and the band Tavern was awesome. Everyone was dancing and singing along.”

Swamp Stomp is gaining popularity with students and the local community. The first year the festival had fewer than 100 people show up, but last year more than 1,000 people attended. Even more are expected for this year’s show.

“[Last year] I went there in a car full of friends and didn’t really know what to expect… but it was probably one of the coolest places I had ever seen,” sophomore Sarah Bromley said. “Before I knew it I had red and yellow face paint smudged onto my face and I was jumping up and down at the front of the stage singing along to songs I didn’t know. I like to think of it as one of the best nights of my life.”

In addition to garnering strong support from local fans, the show also has gained some prominent sponsors; the Miami New Times is presenting the festival and other sponsors include Stop N’ Shop, TMiami.com and Whatmiami.com.

“They had to move Swamp Stomp from Jimbo’s to Bayside Hut this year because it has grown so much,” Bromley said. “If you look online from last year, you’ll see photos of people just having a great time, getting down and dirty with their friends, jamming out to the best local music around. It’s about letting loose and feeling the wild vibe the night brings out in everyone and everything around.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:
What: Swamp Stomp Music Festival

Where: Bayside Hut, 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne

When: Saturday, 5 p.m.– 2 a.m.

Cost: $8 pre-sale, $10 at the door

For more information and to buy tickets in advance, visit www.swampstompmiami.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...