Sports briefs April 21

Baseball

The Hurricanes’ senior righty David Gutierrez was named ACC Pitcher of the week this past week. Gutierrez is posting a 3.82 ERA this season and has a perfect 4-0 record so far, but he has yet to give up a home run.

Golf

The Hurricanes finished eighth at the ACC Championships this past weekend in Greensboro, N.C.  The young team was led by Begona Sarabia who finished 27th overall. The match was the last one for long time coach Lela Cannon who will be retiring this offseason after 27 years of service at UM.

Volleyball

During their offseason, some of the Hurricane volleyball players participated in the Collegiate Beach Challenge in Siesta Key over this past weekend. Lici McGee and Lane Carico won the silver medal and Ali Becker and Katie Gallagher took the bronze. The event proved a good test for the team which has high hopes of winning the ACC this year after a less than stellar 11-9 record this past season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...