Jason Castro unlikely to hook new fans

Courtesy BecauseSoundMatters.com

American Idol star Jason Castro’s self-titled debut album features catchy pop-rock melodies and heart-felt lyrics.

Castro’s rich voice is superb, although the album runs short with only eight tracks.

The opening track, “Let’s Just Fall in Love Again,” is a playful song about getting back together with a former love interest. While track two doesn’t stand out as much as the first, the next song, “That’s What I’m Here For,” is one of the best on the album. It features mellow acoustic guitar, lush string arrangements and charming harmonies.

“Love Uncompromised” is an up-beat song with a little country flavor followed by “Closer,” a catchy rock song. “You Can Always Come Home” is a somber duet with Serena Ryder. Castro and Ryder’s voices complement each other nicely over a mix of piano, acoustic guitar and strings.

The album ends with a cover of Leonard Cohen’s  “Hallelujah.” Castro sings with perfect technique and inflections in all the right places, but it sounds more contrived than emotive. While it’s not a bad version of the song, it lacks the raw emotion of Jeff Buckley’s rendition.

Castro’s debut album is sure to please those who followed him on American Idol, but it is unlikely that he will hook many new fans. While his upbeat sound is easy to listen to, the song writing doesn’t stand out as anything new or innovative, and most of the songs lose their catchy appeal after a few listens. Castro’s impressive voice may not be enough to make a lasting impression on the music scene.

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

“Jason Castro” by Jason Castro

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Released: April 13

Label: Atlantic Records

Produced by: Eric Rosse

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...

Ranked and seeded third, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team tallied a 6-3, ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2018 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 24-26 at the U ...

Hurricanes' programs post strong APR marks once again. ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...