Jason Castro unlikely to hook new fans

Courtesy BecauseSoundMatters.com

American Idol star Jason Castro’s self-titled debut album features catchy pop-rock melodies and heart-felt lyrics.

Castro’s rich voice is superb, although the album runs short with only eight tracks.

The opening track, “Let’s Just Fall in Love Again,” is a playful song about getting back together with a former love interest. While track two doesn’t stand out as much as the first, the next song, “That’s What I’m Here For,” is one of the best on the album. It features mellow acoustic guitar, lush string arrangements and charming harmonies.

“Love Uncompromised” is an up-beat song with a little country flavor followed by “Closer,” a catchy rock song. “You Can Always Come Home” is a somber duet with Serena Ryder. Castro and Ryder’s voices complement each other nicely over a mix of piano, acoustic guitar and strings.

The album ends with a cover of Leonard Cohen’s  “Hallelujah.” Castro sings with perfect technique and inflections in all the right places, but it sounds more contrived than emotive. While it’s not a bad version of the song, it lacks the raw emotion of Jeff Buckley’s rendition.

Castro’s debut album is sure to please those who followed him on American Idol, but it is unlikely that he will hook many new fans. While his upbeat sound is easy to listen to, the song writing doesn’t stand out as anything new or innovative, and most of the songs lose their catchy appeal after a few listens. Castro’s impressive voice may not be enough to make a lasting impression on the music scene.

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

“Jason Castro” by Jason Castro

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Released: April 13

Label: Atlantic Records

Produced by: Eric Rosse

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...