Sports Briefs

Track & Field:

The ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships were held at Clemson over this past weekend and the Hurricanes brought home three championships. Hurdler Cory Nelms won his second career ACC title and his first in the 110m hurdles after posting a 13.82 second performance. Sprinter Tameka Jameson’s 53.34 second time won her first ACC title in the 400m dash, she was also the first leg of the Hurricanes 4×400 relay winning team along with Ti’erra Brown, Charlene Fuller and Takecia Jameson who won an ACC Championship as well.

Women’s Tennis:

The University of North Carolina snapped the Hurricanes 13 match win streak on Saturday, barely edging out a 4-3 win at home. The Hurricanes are still ranked 11th in the nation and will travel to Durham to face Duke on Sunday.

Men’s Tennis:

The 47th-ranked Hurricanes defeated the 14th ranked Blue Devils at home this weekend, handing them just their second ACC loss of the season. The Hurricanes will play their final ACC match of the season at home against UNC on Sunday.

Men’s Basketball:

Coach Frank Haith announced the signing of Harvard-Westlake’s (CA) forward Erik Swoope on Friday. Swoope was Los Angeles’ Mission League MVP and was named to the Los Angeles Times’ All-Star team in his senior season. He stands a modest 6 foot 5 and averaged 8.9 rebounds to compliment his 21.8 points per game on 74 percent from the field.  He joins Rion Brown and Raphael Akpejiori in the 2010 commitment class.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports Briefs”

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...