Sports Briefs

Track & Field:

The ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships were held at Clemson over this past weekend and the Hurricanes brought home three championships. Hurdler Cory Nelms won his second career ACC title and his first in the 110m hurdles after posting a 13.82 second performance. Sprinter Tameka Jameson’s 53.34 second time won her first ACC title in the 400m dash, she was also the first leg of the Hurricanes 4×400 relay winning team along with Ti’erra Brown, Charlene Fuller and Takecia Jameson who won an ACC Championship as well.

Women’s Tennis:

The University of North Carolina snapped the Hurricanes 13 match win streak on Saturday, barely edging out a 4-3 win at home. The Hurricanes are still ranked 11th in the nation and will travel to Durham to face Duke on Sunday.

Men’s Tennis:

The 47th-ranked Hurricanes defeated the 14th ranked Blue Devils at home this weekend, handing them just their second ACC loss of the season. The Hurricanes will play their final ACC match of the season at home against UNC on Sunday.

Men’s Basketball:

Coach Frank Haith announced the signing of Harvard-Westlake’s (CA) forward Erik Swoope on Friday. Swoope was Los Angeles’ Mission League MVP and was named to the Los Angeles Times’ All-Star team in his senior season. He stands a modest 6 foot 5 and averaged 8.9 rebounds to compliment his 21.8 points per game on 74 percent from the field.  He joins Rion Brown and Raphael Akpejiori in the 2010 commitment class.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports Briefs”

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...