Schools of medicine, law rise in rank

Despite economic pressures to cut funding and other challenges facing the university, two of UM’s  graduate schools and one graduate program continue to improve.

The University of Miami’s graduate schools have risen again in national rankings, according to the 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report.

The UM Miller School of Medicine, formerly ranked No. 51, is now placed at No. 47, according to the news magazine. Like UM’s undergraduate ranking, the medical school can now boast a top 50 ranking.

“This prestigious ranking from U.S. News is further evidence of the high caliber of our students, our education and the research being conducted at the Miller School of Medicine,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of the medical school, according to UM Media Relations. “[It] reflects our deep commitment to educating the medical leaders of tomorrow, while making the discoveries that will help patients in South Florida and around the world.”

The Miller School’s physical therapy program is ranked at No. 7 in the nation. The medical school rankings were based on the submissions of 120  schools.

Also, the School of Law is now ranked at No. 60, rising 11 positions from its previous rank of 71. Of particular note is the ranking of its tax law program, which broke into the top of the rankings at No. 5, as compared to being No. Previously, it had been ranked at No. 6.

“I am pleased to see this public acknowledgement that the UM School of Law is a place on the move,” said Patricia White, dean of the law school, according to UM Media Relations.

Additionally, the clinical psychology graduate program of the College of Arts and Sciences ranked at No. 25 out of a total of 210 schools. In 2010, the program received 500 applications to fill 15 open slots. The Department of Psychology overall is ranked at No. 60 of 241 schools.

The 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report will be published in May.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...