Schools of medicine, law rise in rank

Despite economic pressures to cut funding and other challenges facing the university, two of UM’s  graduate schools and one graduate program continue to improve.

The University of Miami’s graduate schools have risen again in national rankings, according to the 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report.

The UM Miller School of Medicine, formerly ranked No. 51, is now placed at No. 47, according to the news magazine. Like UM’s undergraduate ranking, the medical school can now boast a top 50 ranking.

“This prestigious ranking from U.S. News is further evidence of the high caliber of our students, our education and the research being conducted at the Miller School of Medicine,” said Pascal J. Goldschmidt, dean of the medical school, according to UM Media Relations. “[It] reflects our deep commitment to educating the medical leaders of tomorrow, while making the discoveries that will help patients in South Florida and around the world.”

The Miller School’s physical therapy program is ranked at No. 7 in the nation. The medical school rankings were based on the submissions of 120  schools.

Also, the School of Law is now ranked at No. 60, rising 11 positions from its previous rank of 71. Of particular note is the ranking of its tax law program, which broke into the top of the rankings at No. 5, as compared to being No. Previously, it had been ranked at No. 6.

“I am pleased to see this public acknowledgement that the UM School of Law is a place on the move,” said Patricia White, dean of the law school, according to UM Media Relations.

Additionally, the clinical psychology graduate program of the College of Arts and Sciences ranked at No. 25 out of a total of 210 schools. In 2010, the program received 500 applications to fill 15 open slots. The Department of Psychology overall is ranked at No. 60 of 241 schools.

The 2011 edition of U.S. News and World Report will be published in May.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Schools of medicine, law rise in rank”

1. Ihsan Shanti says:

I am pleased to see this public acknowledgement
    By – Ihsan Shanti

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...