Lifefood Gourmet an interesting alternative

Raw, dairy-free, gluten-free lasagna? Lifefood Gourmet features a unique selection of vegan, organic and all-natural cuisine that is either raw or lightly heated. It is a refreshing experience, especially for vegetarians living in a city where Cuban cuisine and Argentinean steak houses abound. Eating rice and beans every time your friends are in the mood for ropa vieja and empanadas can get old after a while.

The restaurant’s chef John Schott seeks to create food that is not only delicious but also environmentally sustainable and nourishing for the body and soul. The atmosphere is earthy and inviting, with friendly staff and service. The food is a little pricey, with $8 smoothies and most appetizers and entrees around $10-12, but still reasonable considering everything is organic and handcrafted.

While the idea of eating a raw diet may seem like it would leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied, one trip to Lifefood Gourmet will change your mind.

The Cacao Shake is delicious and feels like a meal by itself. The Mediterranean Nachos are hemp with flax chips piled high with olives, onions, lettuce and homemade Brazil nut hummus. Even meat eaters will be satisfied with the Life Burrito, packed with seasoned Brazil nutmeat, pine nut “cheddar,” guacamole and portabella.

The lasagna, despite being the most expensive item at $18, is a favorite among regular customers and it is easy to see why. With layers of baby spinach, sun dried tomato flat bread, pumpkin pesto, portabella and fresh tomato sauce, it is full of flavor and won’t leave you feeling heavy, like traditional cheese packed lasagna does.

The restaurant also serves an array of soups, salads, pizzas, smoothies and desserts. Lifefood Gourmet is an innovative, healthy and tasty alternative for those looking for something different.

IF YOU GO:

Lifefood Gourmet

WHAT: Vegan, raw, all-natural health food

WHERE: 1248 SW 22 Street Miami, FL 33145

WHEN: 12 p.m.- 9 p.m., Thursday to Sunday

COST: $10-18 per entrée

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...