Lifefood Gourmet an interesting alternative

Raw, dairy-free, gluten-free lasagna? Lifefood Gourmet features a unique selection of vegan, organic and all-natural cuisine that is either raw or lightly heated. It is a refreshing experience, especially for vegetarians living in a city where Cuban cuisine and Argentinean steak houses abound. Eating rice and beans every time your friends are in the mood for ropa vieja and empanadas can get old after a while.

The restaurant’s chef John Schott seeks to create food that is not only delicious but also environmentally sustainable and nourishing for the body and soul. The atmosphere is earthy and inviting, with friendly staff and service. The food is a little pricey, with $8 smoothies and most appetizers and entrees around $10-12, but still reasonable considering everything is organic and handcrafted.

While the idea of eating a raw diet may seem like it would leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied, one trip to Lifefood Gourmet will change your mind.

The Cacao Shake is delicious and feels like a meal by itself. The Mediterranean Nachos are hemp with flax chips piled high with olives, onions, lettuce and homemade Brazil nut hummus. Even meat eaters will be satisfied with the Life Burrito, packed with seasoned Brazil nutmeat, pine nut “cheddar,” guacamole and portabella.

The lasagna, despite being the most expensive item at $18, is a favorite among regular customers and it is easy to see why. With layers of baby spinach, sun dried tomato flat bread, pumpkin pesto, portabella and fresh tomato sauce, it is full of flavor and won’t leave you feeling heavy, like traditional cheese packed lasagna does.

The restaurant also serves an array of soups, salads, pizzas, smoothies and desserts. Lifefood Gourmet is an innovative, healthy and tasty alternative for those looking for something different.

IF YOU GO:

Lifefood Gourmet

WHAT: Vegan, raw, all-natural health food

WHERE: 1248 SW 22 Street Miami, FL 33145

WHEN: 12 p.m.- 9 p.m., Thursday to Sunday

COST: $10-18 per entrée

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...