Lifefood Gourmet an interesting alternative

Raw, dairy-free, gluten-free lasagna? Lifefood Gourmet features a unique selection of vegan, organic and all-natural cuisine that is either raw or lightly heated. It is a refreshing experience, especially for vegetarians living in a city where Cuban cuisine and Argentinean steak houses abound. Eating rice and beans every time your friends are in the mood for ropa vieja and empanadas can get old after a while.

The restaurant’s chef John Schott seeks to create food that is not only delicious but also environmentally sustainable and nourishing for the body and soul. The atmosphere is earthy and inviting, with friendly staff and service. The food is a little pricey, with $8 smoothies and most appetizers and entrees around $10-12, but still reasonable considering everything is organic and handcrafted.

While the idea of eating a raw diet may seem like it would leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied, one trip to Lifefood Gourmet will change your mind.

The Cacao Shake is delicious and feels like a meal by itself. The Mediterranean Nachos are hemp with flax chips piled high with olives, onions, lettuce and homemade Brazil nut hummus. Even meat eaters will be satisfied with the Life Burrito, packed with seasoned Brazil nutmeat, pine nut “cheddar,” guacamole and portabella.

The lasagna, despite being the most expensive item at $18, is a favorite among regular customers and it is easy to see why. With layers of baby spinach, sun dried tomato flat bread, pumpkin pesto, portabella and fresh tomato sauce, it is full of flavor and won’t leave you feeling heavy, like traditional cheese packed lasagna does.

The restaurant also serves an array of soups, salads, pizzas, smoothies and desserts. Lifefood Gourmet is an innovative, healthy and tasty alternative for those looking for something different.

IF YOU GO:

Lifefood Gourmet

WHAT: Vegan, raw, all-natural health food

WHERE: 1248 SW 22 Street Miami, FL 33145

WHEN: 12 p.m.- 9 p.m., Thursday to Sunday

COST: $10-18 per entrée

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Lifefood Gourmet an interesting alternative”

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...