Open the discussion to all points of view

Hit the snooze button. Grab a latte. Run to class. Avoid getting hit by cars? If this last statement doesn’t sound like a part of your morning routine, you might have to start getting ready for it.
The city of Coral Gables, a community notorious for its hyper sensitive zoning restrictions, has mandated that UM must build a circulator road through campus before it can start construction on any other new projects.
What the city of Coral Gables, a planned community that  has shared the neighborhood with our university since 1926,  fails to understand is how inconvenient a road through our extremely walkable campus would be. What our own university hasn’t recognized is how ridiculous and ineffective their proposed road actually is.
The residents of Coral Gables who would benefit most from this road are asking for all university related traffic, from delivery trucks, to your physics professor’s Toyota, to be re-directed out of their way, and into  a bustling, pedestrian-friendly environment.
Although Coral Gables held a public hearing, open to anyone, to discuss the road, at the university the project has been so shrouded in secrecy that students and faculty could not have possibly been well enough informed to attend the public hearing and express their point of view.
The University of Miami is one of the nation’s top 50 schools; the city of Coral Gables should be proud to call us their neighbor, and should be open and willing to listen to the opinions of the people who use the campus every day.
But the university has intentionally left the members of its community out of the discussion, which is unacceptable given the fact that we are the one footing the bill for this road.
There needs to come a point where students and Coral Gables residents can talk face to face about the pros and cons of this road.
Despite briefing select faculty and student leaders UM has done nothing to invite discussion of this topic from the greater student body.
It is ridiculous that this publication, which seeks to be a credible source of information  for its readers by providing a balanced perspective, has gotten more facts about the project from the City of Coral Gables than its own university.

For more information on the circular road turn to page two.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Open the discussion to all points of view”

1. Bob says:

Is this actually supposed to be a legitimate article? I don’t necessarily disagree, but all that this does is whine and say that the road is “ridiculous”. And I think you are very pompous if you think that you know more about the road construction project than those people who are planning to implement it. Additionally, if my memory serves well, I remember a public meeting a few weeks ago that was advertised through the facebook group for all those concerned about the construction project to attend. Instead of whining, get your head out of the clouds and try offering some solutions!

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...