Hundreds to gather at UM for the Clinton Global Initiative

Courtesy Clinton Global Initiative

When President Shalala takes the stage Friday afternoon at the BankUnited Center for her opening remarks, she will be speaking to about a thousand students, hundreds of college presidents and numerous international political leaders who have gathered for the highly anticipated Clinton Global Initiative University.
After Shalala’s introduction, President Bill Clinton will deliver an address.
“I am so proud of the young leaders who have come through the Clinton Global Initiative University. Since the first CGIU meeting in 2008, students from 53 countries have made more than 2,000 commitments that are positively affecting hundreds of thousands of lives around the world,” said President Clinton, according to the Clinton Foundation press office.

Also scheduled to participate in Friday’s plenary session, titled “What If: Igniting the Social Imagination,” is American recording artist Usher and U.S. Surgeon General Regina Benjamin. Saturday’s two plenary sessions are titled “The American Home front” and “The Future of Water.

The plenary sessions are tasked with bringing all of CGIU’s participants together for an introduction of many pressing global issues. Several small-group workshops will be based around the plenary sessions and will focus on five major topics: education, environmental and climate change, peace and human rights, poverty alleviation and global health.
CGIU’s last day will feature a major service project at the Homestead Air Base, where participants will work to aid the Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust’s Homestead complex. In addition to volunteering to help the community of 500 formerly homeless people located at the complex, participants will help rehabilitate the on-site facilities.
“I’m looking forward to helping the participants at the conference,” said junior Kartik Telukuntla, a project leader and volunteer for CGIU. “[We’re] going to be heavily involved with the service day on Sunday. I feel students will benefit greatly from the experience this weekend.”
The complex is expected to expand by 145 additional housing units with an organic nursery and a farmer’s market following CGIU. Sunday’s service event will help facilitate these expansions.
Many student organizations have held with community service programs in advance of CGIU. The Undergraduate Honor Council, Lead Serve, LINK, Give Back Week and STRIVE recently concluded their book, food and supply drive last week.  The Honor Council has collected over 1,200 books

“It’s been a collaborative effort,” said Michael Schick of the Honor Council.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Friday

5 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.

Opening Plenary Session at the BUC, opening remarks by President Donna Shalala

Program Participants: President Bill Clinton, Sam Adelsberg, founder of LendforPeace.org; Robyn Allen founder of the Vehicle Design Summit; Grammy-winning artist Usher; Regina Benjamin, U.S. Surgeon General

Saturday, April 17

9 a.m. – 10 a.m.

Plenary Session at the BUC: The American Homefront

2:30 p.m. – 3:30 a.m.

Plenary Session at the BUC: The Future of Water

6 p.m. – 7 p.m.

Closing Plenary Session at the BUC

8 p.m. – 10 p.m.

Dinner and Performance: UC Patio

Concert at BUC or UC Patio [TBA]

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...