Tennis

Miami beats Maryland in Men’s Tennis

The No. 50 University of Miami Men’s Tennis (8-10, 2-5) team got its second straight win beating Maryland (6-1) to get its second ACC win of the year.

The Hurricanes got off to a great start by sweeping the doubles matches. David Simon and Christian Blocker got an 8-4 win in the No. 1 position to improve to 15-9. Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Tabadoa got the doubles point for the Hurricanes with an 8-4 win as well.

No. 57 ranked duo of Hector Nieto and Keith Crowley was able to get a tough 8-6 victory despite a slow start.

Blocker again played in the No. 1 position and got the Canes started with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Maryland’s Tommy Laine. Also winning in straight sets were Keith Crowley (6-4, 6-2), Waylon Chin (7-5, 6-4), and Ignacio Tabadoa (6-1, 6-4).

No. 110 Carl Sundberg had a tough night against Maryland’s John Collins finally beating him in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. David Simon overcame a first set loss to force a third set but ultimately lost to Maryland’s Sergio Wyss in a tough third set 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...