Tennis

Miami beats Maryland in Men’s Tennis

The No. 50 University of Miami Men’s Tennis (8-10, 2-5) team got its second straight win beating Maryland (6-1) to get its second ACC win of the year.

The Hurricanes got off to a great start by sweeping the doubles matches. David Simon and Christian Blocker got an 8-4 win in the No. 1 position to improve to 15-9. Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Tabadoa got the doubles point for the Hurricanes with an 8-4 win as well.

No. 57 ranked duo of Hector Nieto and Keith Crowley was able to get a tough 8-6 victory despite a slow start.

Blocker again played in the No. 1 position and got the Canes started with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Maryland’s Tommy Laine. Also winning in straight sets were Keith Crowley (6-4, 6-2), Waylon Chin (7-5, 6-4), and Ignacio Tabadoa (6-1, 6-4).

No. 110 Carl Sundberg had a tough night against Maryland’s John Collins finally beating him in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. David Simon overcame a first set loss to force a third set but ultimately lost to Maryland’s Sergio Wyss in a tough third set 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Happy Thanksgiving! I started this while I was sitting in Washington-Dulles Airport awaiting my seco ...

This is how extraordinary the University of Miami football season has been: When the Hurricanes won ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes nuggets on Thanksgiving: • There’s no doubt that UM’s home field advantage ...

You’ve got to expect the Las Vegas sportsbooks to come strong and smart with two days of Florida col ...

Here’s why UM moving up to No. 2 in the CFP poll was important, for reasons that extend beyond Canes ...

At the entrance of the University of Miami’s Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic S ...

UM Police Department's Innovative Fundraiser Sells Abandoned Bikes to Support United Way ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America held a special program at the Univer ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

Here are three matchups to watch as the No. 2 Hurricanes face Pitt with a chance to finish the regul ...

The tournament will be played in Southern California next November 22, 23 and 25. ...

Dewan Huell scored a career-high 16 points as the Canes defeated La Salle in Reading, Pa. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team had to break a 10-year-old record to overcome sturdy Georgia ...

The Hurricanes jumped o to No. 2 in the latest College Football Playoff rankings released Tuesday, e ...