Tennis

Miami beats Maryland in Men’s Tennis

The No. 50 University of Miami Men’s Tennis (8-10, 2-5) team got its second straight win beating Maryland (6-1) to get its second ACC win of the year.

The Hurricanes got off to a great start by sweeping the doubles matches. David Simon and Christian Blocker got an 8-4 win in the No. 1 position to improve to 15-9. Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Tabadoa got the doubles point for the Hurricanes with an 8-4 win as well.

No. 57 ranked duo of Hector Nieto and Keith Crowley was able to get a tough 8-6 victory despite a slow start.

Blocker again played in the No. 1 position and got the Canes started with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Maryland’s Tommy Laine. Also winning in straight sets were Keith Crowley (6-4, 6-2), Waylon Chin (7-5, 6-4), and Ignacio Tabadoa (6-1, 6-4).

No. 110 Carl Sundberg had a tough night against Maryland’s John Collins finally beating him in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. David Simon overcame a first set loss to force a third set but ultimately lost to Maryland’s Sergio Wyss in a tough third set 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz, who grew up in Miami and is the son of the for ...

How’s your landscaping after Hurricane Irma? Did you get it cleaned up (and replaced) as fast as the ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

The University’s decision to close classes well in advance of the hurricane enabled the successful e ...

The University is moving swiftly and diligently to clear widespread downed trees, power lines, and o ...

The University of Miami continues the recovery effort from Hurricane Irma. ...

The Hurricanes will be playing for all of South Florida when they host Toledo on Saturday at Hard Ro ...

The duo won its first seven matches of the  spring and went on to advance to the third round of the ...

The weekly ProCanes Report will weed through all the NFL highlights and news to bring you the inform ...

View some of the best images from the Miami women's tennis team's picture day in advance o ...

The men's cross country team moved up one spot to No. 14 in the South Region in the NCAA Divisi ...