Tennis

Miami beats Maryland in Men’s Tennis

The No. 50 University of Miami Men’s Tennis (8-10, 2-5) team got its second straight win beating Maryland (6-1) to get its second ACC win of the year.

The Hurricanes got off to a great start by sweeping the doubles matches. David Simon and Christian Blocker got an 8-4 win in the No. 1 position to improve to 15-9. Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Tabadoa got the doubles point for the Hurricanes with an 8-4 win as well.

No. 57 ranked duo of Hector Nieto and Keith Crowley was able to get a tough 8-6 victory despite a slow start.

Blocker again played in the No. 1 position and got the Canes started with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Maryland’s Tommy Laine. Also winning in straight sets were Keith Crowley (6-4, 6-2), Waylon Chin (7-5, 6-4), and Ignacio Tabadoa (6-1, 6-4).

No. 110 Carl Sundberg had a tough night against Maryland’s John Collins finally beating him in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. David Simon overcame a first set loss to force a third set but ultimately lost to Maryland’s Sergio Wyss in a tough third set 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Debora Rubi Senior Sports Writer

And another one... The stars just keep committing. A few hours after Miami Southridge’s nationally h ...

Want an early look at the incoming shooting guard who has a chance to become Miami’s best basketball ...

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...

Facing its 10th top-30 opponent in 13 matches this season, the No. 37 Miami women's tennis team ...

Junior lefthander Michael Mediavilla was his vintage self, Miami's offense came through again, ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...