Tennis

Miami beats Maryland in Men’s Tennis

The No. 50 University of Miami Men’s Tennis (8-10, 2-5) team got its second straight win beating Maryland (6-1) to get its second ACC win of the year.

The Hurricanes got off to a great start by sweeping the doubles matches. David Simon and Christian Blocker got an 8-4 win in the No. 1 position to improve to 15-9. Carl Sundberg and Ignacio Tabadoa got the doubles point for the Hurricanes with an 8-4 win as well.

No. 57 ranked duo of Hector Nieto and Keith Crowley was able to get a tough 8-6 victory despite a slow start.

Blocker again played in the No. 1 position and got the Canes started with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Maryland’s Tommy Laine. Also winning in straight sets were Keith Crowley (6-4, 6-2), Waylon Chin (7-5, 6-4), and Ignacio Tabadoa (6-1, 6-4).

No. 110 Carl Sundberg had a tough night against Maryland’s John Collins finally beating him in three sets 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. David Simon overcame a first set loss to force a third set but ultimately lost to Maryland’s Sergio Wyss in a tough third set 3-6, 7-5, 10-8.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...