Dear V

Dear V: My fiancée swings both ways…

My fiancée that I am in love with, has recently expressed to me that she is bisexual. We have joked about how we are attracted to the same girls, but jokes have started to make me feel insecure, even though I am very sexually experienced. I am open-minded and very sexually liberal myself, but the fear of losing her to someone I can’t compete with has me worried. I want her to experience that side of herself, but in a controlled environment where I can supervise. Still, there is a side of me that wonders if she is truly happy, knowing that there is a hunger that I can’t satisfy.

Player for the Right Team

Dear Right Teamer,

First of all, bravo to you for being so supportive of your wife-to-be. A lot of men would be much less sensitive to this subject, and I think it’s great that you are making things work between you in this new situation.  If you love her as much as you say, I’m sure things will work out just fine for you two.

That being said, I understand how even with your liberal attitude, this can be a difficult new challenge to deal with.  Dating in college is hard enough without discovering your lover swings both ways.  I think it’s important to remember this: she chose to date you, she’s engaged to you, she clearly wants to be with YOU.  Just because she’s also attracted to girls, doesn’t mean she going to go running off with one in the middle of the night.  There are plenty of happily married couples out there where one partner is straight, the other bisexual; there is no reason this can’t work for you too.

If you’re really open to letting her play some for the other team (supervised, as you said), go for it.  I think a play-date with another lady-friend would not only help your fiancée experience her new desires, but also show her how much you care and how supportive you are of her new discovery.

While she may be missing out on some things by being in a monogamous relationship with you, I doubt she’s unhappy.  She wouldn’t have said yes to a marriage proposal if she thought she wanted to be with a woman instead of you.  Stay in the game, support her, and you’ll both be on the winning team.

Best,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...