V's Take

Dear V: My fiancée swings both ways…

My fiancée that I am in love with, has recently expressed to me that she is bisexual. We have joked about how we are attracted to the same girls, but jokes have started to make me feel insecure, even though I am very sexually experienced. I am open-minded and very sexually liberal myself, but the fear of losing her to someone I can’t compete with has me worried. I want her to experience that side of herself, but in a controlled environment where I can supervise. Still, there is a side of me that wonders if she is truly happy, knowing that there is a hunger that I can’t satisfy.

Player for the Right Team

Dear Right Teamer,

First of all, bravo to you for being so supportive of your wife-to-be. A lot of men would be much less sensitive to this subject, and I think it’s great that you are making things work between you in this new situation.  If you love her as much as you say, I’m sure things will work out just fine for you two.

That being said, I understand how even with your liberal attitude, this can be a difficult new challenge to deal with.  Dating in college is hard enough without discovering your lover swings both ways.  I think it’s important to remember this: she chose to date you, she’s engaged to you, she clearly wants to be with YOU.  Just because she’s also attracted to girls, doesn’t mean she going to go running off with one in the middle of the night.  There are plenty of happily married couples out there where one partner is straight, the other bisexual; there is no reason this can’t work for you too.

If you’re really open to letting her play some for the other team (supervised, as you said), go for it.  I think a play-date with another lady-friend would not only help your fiancée experience her new desires, but also show her how much you care and how supportive you are of her new discovery.

While she may be missing out on some things by being in a monogamous relationship with you, I doubt she’s unhappy.  She wouldn’t have said yes to a marriage proposal if she thought she wanted to be with a woman instead of you.  Stay in the game, support her, and you’ll both be on the winning team.

Best,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...