Zeta Tau Alpha holds annual fashion show Sunday, to benefit Breast Cancer Education and Awareness

Every spring for the past 17 years, members of the Zeta Tau Alpha fraternity have gathered together in the name of fashion and fundraising.

The 2010 show, “Elements of Fashion,” takes place Sunday. In an effort to raise funds for breast cancer education and awareness, ZTA’s national philanthropy, members hope to exceed last year’s $31,000 donation. With over 400 people set to attend, it will also be one of the sorority’s largest productions in history.

“This year’s show is unique because of the clothes we will be modeling,” said junior Joanna Finazzo, who serves as the 2010 fashion show chair. “We are featuring outfits from bridal shops, local boutiques and All Canes… the show is a big production, consisting of a silent auction, luncheon and runway show, all organized by our members.”

While other fraternities’ and sororities’ philanthropies are located on campus, many with multiple events and requiring to sign in, ZTA has made it a tradition to hold one grand-scale event on a Sunday in April.

“We gear our show towards friends and family members, along with alumni of both UM and Zeta Tau Alpha itself,” Finazzo said. “Compared to other philanthropies, our fashion show can be seen as a ‘family event,’ more formal.”

The show’s success is rewarding in that it helps those fighting breast cancer all over the country, but a fringe benefit is the bragging rights it earns the organization.

“Nationally our chapter, [Gamma Alpha], is known for our fashion show,” said senior Kelly Fitzpatrick, a ZTA sister. “It’s a defining thing about our chapter.”

ZTA’s Fashion Show is a prime example of how Greek Life makes an impact outside of campus walls. The efforts of the women of ZTA Gamma Alpha will have effects far-reaching from Coral Gables.

We work extremely hard to raise as much money as we can, to contribute toward finding a cure for breast cancer,” Finazzo said. “We want to find a cure one day and hopefully, with the money we put forth through our fundraising, ZTA will see that it happens.”

IF YOU GO

What: Zeta Tau Alpha Fashion Show “Elements of Style”

When: Sunday, from 12 p.m until 4 p.m.

Where: Doubletree Miami Mart Hotel, 711 N.W. 72 Avenue

Cost: $40 per person, which includes admission to the silent auction, luncheon and fashion show. Donations are also accepted.

Nicole Adlman

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Zeta Tau Alpha holds annual fashion show Sunday, to benefit Breast Cancer Education and Awareness”

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...