Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Save the arboretum

The arboretum is a very special place to us students. Since day one at the University of Miami, I have been studying under the exquisite and beautiful branches of its trees.

As a biology major, the arboretum has contributed so much to my education. Visiting the garden to study its exotic plants, trying to trace their evolutionary histories, learning about their medicinal purposes and pondering the intricate systems that pump life through their trunks has been so much more valuable than simply reading out of a textbook could ever be.

We are a university and a world striving to be environmentally responsible. The decision to construct a road through this garden would be both unbelievably counterproductive and tragic.

So much work, effort and money has gone into creating this beautiful sanctuary. It would be incredibly wasteful and unwise to destroy it.

Claire Bailey is a sophomore majoring in marine science and biology. She may be contacted at cbailey@themiamihurricane.com.

Claire Bailey

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...