Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Save the arboretum

The arboretum is a very special place to us students. Since day one at the University of Miami, I have been studying under the exquisite and beautiful branches of its trees.

As a biology major, the arboretum has contributed so much to my education. Visiting the garden to study its exotic plants, trying to trace their evolutionary histories, learning about their medicinal purposes and pondering the intricate systems that pump life through their trunks has been so much more valuable than simply reading out of a textbook could ever be.

We are a university and a world striving to be environmentally responsible. The decision to construct a road through this garden would be both unbelievably counterproductive and tragic.

So much work, effort and money has gone into creating this beautiful sanctuary. It would be incredibly wasteful and unwise to destroy it.

Claire Bailey is a sophomore majoring in marine science and biology. She may be contacted at cbailey@themiamihurricane.com.

Claire Bailey

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...