Arctic Monkeys show didn’t meet expectations

The Sheffield-accented Brits the Arctic Monkeys performed last Thursday, at The Filmore for Miami fans, but excluded many of their most popular songs from their set list. Playing mostly from their latest album, “Humbug,” the band put on a good show, but left many concert-goers grasping for their iPods for consolation.

Though the band is known for its high-energy shows and dreamy front man, Alex Turner, the event’s ambiance consisted of mosh pits, teenagers and drunk, unenthusiastic band members. If the band’s opening act, Sleepy Sun, didn’t get you wondering why you were there, the sweaty, aggressive crowd during songs like “Potion Approaching” and “Pretty Visitors” would help raise those questions.

Some of the more classic Arctic Monkeys songs they played, such as “I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor” and “505” were received with intense enthusiasm and “Fluorescent Adolescent” even generated the crowd singing along without the help of Turner, to his mild amusement.

The band kicked off their East Coast tour in Miami, where they had never played before. After the show, members Nick, Jamie and Matt greeted fans outside and signed autographs.

Overall, don’t feel bad about missing Arctic Monkeys. The experience was an incomplete one, but undoubtedly an anomaly for their reputation.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...