Arctic Monkeys show didn’t meet expectations

The Sheffield-accented Brits the Arctic Monkeys performed last Thursday, at The Filmore for Miami fans, but excluded many of their most popular songs from their set list. Playing mostly from their latest album, “Humbug,” the band put on a good show, but left many concert-goers grasping for their iPods for consolation.

Though the band is known for its high-energy shows and dreamy front man, Alex Turner, the event’s ambiance consisted of mosh pits, teenagers and drunk, unenthusiastic band members. If the band’s opening act, Sleepy Sun, didn’t get you wondering why you were there, the sweaty, aggressive crowd during songs like “Potion Approaching” and “Pretty Visitors” would help raise those questions.

Some of the more classic Arctic Monkeys songs they played, such as “I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor” and “505” were received with intense enthusiasm and “Fluorescent Adolescent” even generated the crowd singing along without the help of Turner, to his mild amusement.

The band kicked off their East Coast tour in Miami, where they had never played before. After the show, members Nick, Jamie and Matt greeted fans outside and signed autographs.

Overall, don’t feel bad about missing Arctic Monkeys. The experience was an incomplete one, but undoubtedly an anomaly for their reputation.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...