Baseball

Wake Forest vs. Miami Matchups

Starting Pitching Advantage: Miami

The Hurricanes’ weekend starts have been phenomenal. In 11 of their last 12 starts, each weekend starter has allowed three earned runs or less. The backbone of this team is pitching. Senior Saturday starter Jason Santana, who just a couple weeks ago was on the verge of coming out of the weekend rotation, has dominated in ACC play. Redshirt junior Eric Erickson continues to gain more arm strength and junior Chris Hernandez is back to freshman form. Wake Forest has the third worst team ERA in the ACC. Tim Cooney, WF’s Friday night starter, is solid posting a sub three ERA in six starts.

Bullpen Advantage: Miami

Despite the fact the senior closer David Gutierrez blew a five-run lead with two outs in the ninth inning last Saturday against N.C. State, the Canes still are versatile in the bullpen. Freshman E.J. Encinosa has filthy stuff while sophomore Sam Robinson is essentially automatic when facing lefties. Freshman Eric Whaley has gained confidence and found himself in a predominant role as well. Wake Forest has three players that have at least one save so clearly they have a bullpen by committee.

Catcher Advantage: Miami

This weekend’s ACC showdown in Coral Gables features two veteran men behind the plate. Senior Mike Murray leads the Demon Deacons in batting average and RBI. Junior Yasmani Grandal has not only been the Canes hottest hitter, but also the most clutch hitter. Grandal has the advantage, but don’t over look Murray.

Infield Advantage: Miami

Every Wake Forest starting infielder is hitting below .300. Meanwhile, the Canes have a well-balanced infield. Senior Scott Lawson has snapped out of a slump since being dropped to the seven hole in the Duke series. Freshman Frankie Ratcliff has found his niche at second base. Miami takes this one easily. And I didn’t even mention the slick-fielding freshman Stephen Perez and sophomore sensation Harold Martinez.

Outfield Advantage: Wake Forest

Miami outfielder Chris Pelaez is in a major slump and cannot buy a hit. Sophomore Nathan Melendres has stepped up his game as of late. Miami has speed but Stephen Brooks, the WF center fielder is a defensive specialist. He leads the team with 11 steals as well. Redshirt junior Ryan Semeniuk, the WF left fielder, has started every game thus far and is a constant in the lineup.

Intangibles Advantage: Miami

Miami leads the all-time series 19-5. Miami is 7-2 in the ACC while Wake is 2-7. Wake Forest has a new head coach in Tom Walter. He led New Orleans to a pair of NCAA Tournament appearances in his five years, but it’s clear to him the ACC is a lot tougher. No one is better than Jim Morris who has made all the right calls this year. The easy favorite here is Miami. They should sweep.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@thmiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...