Baseball, News

FIRST IMPRESSION-Tasty treats are a home run

Former baseball player, Neil Carson, lets his son, Hayden, sip from his milkshake during Wednesday's game. The six members of the Carson family attend a couple games a year and always purchase milkshakes. Since his time at the University of Miami from 1987-1991, Neil has seen many of the changes including the new stadium being built as well as the evolution from a simple milkshake stand to a regular kiosk in Alex Rodriguez park. Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor

At  baseball games, fans always eat the traditional food that complements America’s favorite pastime. Hot dogs, peanuts and cracker jack are the typical snacks of choice. But at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field, milkshakes are the hot commodity.

Milkshake vendor Mitch Freedman has been making his delicious frozen treats at Miami Hurricane games for over 25 years. His stand, called The Home Plate Creamery, has been cooling people off  longer than most of the students at UM have been alive. Battling the South Florida heat is tough, but a Freedman milkshake is just the thing to cool you down.

Freshman outfielder Michael Broad is a big fan of the milkshakes. He even drinks them before games to get a boost.

“Those milkshakes have been at the field for as long as I could remember,” Broad said. “When I was little I would always come to the games and have them, but now that I am a player and he is still here making them and I can enjoy them before a game is so cool.”

Freedman says that his milkshakes are the best in town because he uses only natural ingredients and does it all by hand.

“We use the same mentality as Papa John’s pizza; better ingredients, better pizza,” he said.

Freshman Kimmi Epstein thinks it’s worth walking all the way down San Amaro Drive just for the milkshakes.

“They are so rich and taste great, probably the best I’ve ever had,” she said.

Fourth-year pitcher Eric Erickson believes milkshakes could even be a recruiting tool.

“Being able to have a quality milkshake from A-Rod Park is an added benefit of being a Hurricane ball player,” the southpaw said.

Due to the new stadium, Freedman has had to make a few adjustments in location and appliances. According to Freedman, however, the changes have been positive. Having a good workspace and a lot of appliances that help him produce milkshakes faster has been better for business. Now his customers don’t have to wait a long time to get their shakes.

Freedman said he couldn’t be happier because the new location has solved his number one problem.

“People always used to have to wait and now this location has cut down the waiting time for all my customers,” he said.

Freedman could not disclose how many he sells per game but he did say the most popular flavors are chocolate and Oreo. He uses real Oreo bits, whole milk, Haagen Dazs ice cream and frozen yogurt. He said the fresher the ingredients, the better the taste.

Sophomore Emily Makynen thinks these famous shakes live up to their reputation.

“I would go to the baseball games and hear all about these famous milkshakes,” she said. “So finally I went and tried one and now I see what all the hype is about. They are delicious because the ingredients are so fresh.”

Michelle Salom may be contacted at msalom@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX

“The Light” Famous Milk Shakes $4.50

Rag Arm – Strawberry and hot sauce

Jayro – Everything chocolate

Omaha Express – Chocolate mint

Any 2 flavors

Michelle Salom

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “FIRST IMPRESSION-Tasty treats are a home run”

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...