News briefs

Want to break into the movie industry?

Charles Vignola, director of development for Jerry Bruckheimer Films and a 1988 University of Miami graduate, will visit the Coral Gables campus on Tues., April 6, from 11 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. in LC room 230. The event will be open to everyone in the university community.

Jerry Bruckheimer Films has produced major movie titles such as “National Treasure: Book of Secrets,” “Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” and the upcoming “Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.”

Academic Integrity Week finale

On Thursday, the UM Honor Council will conclude their Academic Integrity week with a cake cutting and tabling in the breezeway. Applications to take part in the council will be distributed in the breezeway.

The week, which is meant to raise awareness of the Honor Council and academic standards at the university, invites students to catch up on some advice to ensure a clean academic record from the university.

Overlapping with International Week is the council’s book, food and supply drive, being collected in the UC Breezeway and the Butler Center for Service and Leadership, UC 224, until April 12. All proceeds with will be sent to the South Miami-Dade Center for the Homeless.

Nominate for SOAR

The Student Organization Achievement and Recognition (SOAR) awards ceremony is being held on April 21 at 6 p.m. at the UM Fieldhouse next to the BankUnited Center.

The annual event is held by the Committee on Student Organizations to recognize organizations for all the hard work conducted throughout the academic year. The theme this year is “SOARing to the Top: Awarding the Best of the Best in Student Organizations.”

All nominations are due Fri., April 2 by midnight. E-mail coso_arc@miami.edu with questions.

Compiled by Ramon Galiana who may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...