Hurricanes advance to NIT Championship

Miami players celebrate after defeating Michigan 76-59 in the semifinal round of the Women's National Invitation Tournament NCAA college basketball game at Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich., on Wednesday, March 31, 2010. Melanie Maxwell // Associated Press

As they move into their final game, it seems like the Miami Hurricane women’s basketball team saved the best for last this season.

The Canes (22-13) moved on to the the NIT championship game after their 76-59 blow out against Michigan on Wednesday.

Just like they have done all season, sophomore sensations Shenise Johnson and Riquna Williams led the Hurricanes. Johnson accounted for 17 points, nine rebounds, seven assists and four steals in 36 minutes of action. Williams was dynamite, she had 26 points in 28 minutes of play. Williams connected on seven three-pointers and silenced the crowd at the Crisler Arena in Ann Arbor, Mich.

Head coach Katie Meier has called this her greatest season and it has been an extraordinary run for her team.

“It’s such a big honor,” Meier said. “There’s really nothing to say. It’s been a great run.”

Leading 37-33 at halftime, the Hurricanes dominated the Wolverines even more after they took the court in the second half. The Lady Canes connected on 16-for-34 from the field and shot from the three-point land 45 percent of the time. The defense was stifling as the Canes held Michigan to nine shots in the second half. Miami outscored Michigan 39-26.

Senior Charmaine Clark had all of her 10 points in the second half and collected 10 rebounds as well.

For the game, Michigan was held to 39 percent shooting and just 23 percent from beyond the arc. From the moment Williams came off the bench, she was a spark. Miami outscored Michigan’s bench 34 to 12 and out-rebounded the Wolverine’s 45-36.

Miami has had plenty of dilemmas this season. The lady Canes lost 11 ACC games and total of 13 losses. Now, the Canes are in the NIT Championship game and the only ACC team still playing.

“We could have folded a long time ago,” Meier said. “We had some tough losses. But these girls have taken advantage of being able to rewrite the script. It’s been beautiful.”

Throughout the NIT, Johnson and Williams have carried the Canes, who had never won two postseason games in the same season before this incredible run. The duo combined for 57 of the team’s 73 points against Providence in the semifinals. Johnson scored a career-high 33 points and had 10 rebounds and Williams accounted for 24 points off the bench. The two combined for 11-for-16 in the first half while the rest of the team was 0-for-13 from the field.

Meier has guided the Canes to their ninth 20-win season in program history and the first since the 2003-2004 season when the Canes advanced to the NCAA Tournament.

Miami will play the winner of California and Illinois State who square off Thursday at 7:05 CST.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...