Holly Miranda’s debut album makes ‘Waves’

Courtesy XL Records

Add one part Feist and two parts Cat Power to imagine the airy folk vocals and minimalist sound of Holly Miranda’s debut studio album, “The Magician’s Private Library.” Miranda, who has toured with bands Nada Surf, The XX, The Antlers and Friendly Fires, is currently touring with Canadian folk duo Tegan & Sara to promote her album’s recent release.

“The Magician’s Private Library” is the kind of CD you need when you’ve reached rock bottom, when the aching has numbed you down and when getting out of bed seems unfeasible. It’s the beauty in the breakdown, the morning you know you’re over it: pastel colors and Montauk.

If the adjectives “dreamy” and “whimsical” are not revealing enough, the album’s single, “Waves,” is an enjoyable forecast of the rest. Her lyrics, focusing on themes like love, dreams and journeys, are supplemented with ambitious synths, strings and beats to create a definitive sound.

Other songs, like “Joints” and “No One Just Is,” give listeners a darker complement to the rest of the upbeat, informal tracks. The contrast between nonchalant and enigmatic gives “The Magician’s Private Library” a surprisingly polished finish for a debut album.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 3/4 stars

Released: February 23, 2010

Producer: Dave Sitek

Label: XL Records

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Holly Miranda’s debut album makes ‘Waves’”

Football season is nearly upon us. The University of Miami’s 2017 fall camp opens at 9 a.m. Tuesday ...

In an age in which committing once to a college football program isn’t always enough for fans and co ...

A six-pack of Canes notes: • It’s just different at UM – the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the desir ...

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt’s spin through the ESPN Car Wash on Tuesday began with ...

University of Miami legendary receiver Michael Irvin is no doubt relieved, as likely is UM football ...

Looking back on 15 years of the University of Miami Business Plan Competition, hosted by the School ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

Value in the Era of Analytics ...

Summer Creative Writing Camp Inspires Young Writers to Release Their Emotions Onto the Page. ...