Holly Miranda’s debut album makes ‘Waves’

Courtesy XL Records

Add one part Feist and two parts Cat Power to imagine the airy folk vocals and minimalist sound of Holly Miranda’s debut studio album, “The Magician’s Private Library.” Miranda, who has toured with bands Nada Surf, The XX, The Antlers and Friendly Fires, is currently touring with Canadian folk duo Tegan & Sara to promote her album’s recent release.

“The Magician’s Private Library” is the kind of CD you need when you’ve reached rock bottom, when the aching has numbed you down and when getting out of bed seems unfeasible. It’s the beauty in the breakdown, the morning you know you’re over it: pastel colors and Montauk.

If the adjectives “dreamy” and “whimsical” are not revealing enough, the album’s single, “Waves,” is an enjoyable forecast of the rest. Her lyrics, focusing on themes like love, dreams and journeys, are supplemented with ambitious synths, strings and beats to create a definitive sound.

Other songs, like “Joints” and “No One Just Is,” give listeners a darker complement to the rest of the upbeat, informal tracks. The contrast between nonchalant and enigmatic gives “The Magician’s Private Library” a surprisingly polished finish for a debut album.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:

Rating: 3/4 stars

Released: February 23, 2010

Producer: Dave Sitek

Label: XL Records

About Author

Nicolette Roque Assistant News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Holly Miranda’s debut album makes ‘Waves’”

A woman has accused NFL Hall of Famer and former University of Miami star wide receiver Michael Irvi ...

Today is special for 15 former Hurricanes football players from the University of Miami. It’s Pro Da ...

Here’s a positive sign for the University of Miami football program: receiver Lawrence Cager appears ...

Tidbits from UM spring football Day 4: • Three of what likely will be UM’s top four corners haven’t ...

You’ve probably seen them: the emotive tweets from University of Miami football coach Mark Richt and ...

More than 250 participants met at the UM Fieldhouse at the Watsco Center to learn more from industry ...

Redshirt freshman diver David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men’s 10-meter plat ...

UM junior Gina Panarese was surprised on campus Thursday by the Ellen DeGeneres show and asked to pa ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

At The Net with Piotr Lomacki ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will face Princeton on Dec. 2 in the Naismith Mem ...

Highlights from the 2016-17 Miami men's basketball season ...

The Miami Hurricanes will make the short trip to Swanson Stadium in Fort Myers, Fla., for a midweek ...

Miami fell to No. 34 University of Louisville, 4-1, Sunday at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center. ...