Baseball

Canes rally midweek to beat Owls 12-5

Freshman Centerfielder, Zeke DeVoss, slides safely into third base against the FAU Owls on Wednesday night. The Hurricanes went on to win the game 12-5. Steven Stuts // The Miami Hurricane

In midweek losses to Fordham and Central Florida in consecutive weeks, the baseball team scored just six runs.

On Wednesday night at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field, there was no shortage of power as the 15th-ranked Hurricanes rallied from an early deficit to beat Florida Atlantic 12-5.

The entire lineup had at least one hit and five batters collected multiple hits and RBI. As a team, the Canes (17-7) notched 16 hits and scored in five straight innings.

“I kind of challenged them,” head coach Jim Morris said. “I said I wanted 10 runs today. You guys are good enough to do that. I want to see you guys get after it and reach back and get it done.”

Things started well for FAU (15-9) as freshman right-hander R.J. Alvarez pitched three scoreless innings.

But trailing 3-1 in the fourth, the Hurricanes responded with eight unanswered runs.

Junior right-hander Taylor Everist (2-5) failed to get an out and faced four batters after surrendering three runs on two homers, including junior left fielder Chris Pelaez’s two-run shot.

“You get those runs when you’re down and it definitely changes the momentum,” Pelaez said. “Everybody’s up and we just took off from there as a team.”

Freshman left-hander Steven Ewing struggled in his third straight outing as he allowed three runs on five hits and three walks in just 2.1 innings.

“Steve’s got to throw better if he wants to stay in the rotation,” Morris said. “That’s the reason why we’re giving some other guys a chance to throw too.”

After striking out the first batter of the game, Ewing gave up a single, walk and two-run double to junior first baseman Dan Scheffler.

That was just the beginning of Ewing’s trouble.

When he allowed a double, single, walk and then hit a batter, he was pulled from the game with the bases loaded.

Freshman right-hander E.J. Encinosa (1-0) struck out the next two batters and earned his first collegiate victory by pitching 3.2 scoreless innings.

“I want to go in there and throw strikes and give our defense a chance to turn a double play or something,” Encinosa said.

Miami has now won seven of nine heading into a three-game home weekend series against Wake Forest (9-17, 2-7).

“The last two weeks we haven’t played good in the middle of the week,” Morris said. “Midweek games are just as important. They’re a young club and they’ve got to understand that.”

Christina De Nicola may be contacted at cdenicola@themiamihurricane.com.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...