California has a right to legalize marijuana

Forget about the negative persona marijuana received in the 1936 movie “Reefer Madness.” Dismiss those articles debating the social implications of weed, (including  those that have appeared in this newspaper for the past few issues.)

For pro-reefer residents of California, now it’s all about cash.

In California’s November ballots, a voter initiative will be presented that, if passed, would make possession and sale of marijuana legal. The taxing of this drug could raise almost $1.4 billion advocates say.

Currently, national groups are raising money on the internet, asking donors to give $4.20 at a time to pass this bill. Over 56 percent of Californians support this legislation and this issue will affect the gubernatorial race.

However, opponents of this bill are holding onto the negative perception of the drug, such as being the cause of increasing tardiness and absenteeism.

But what is worse, taking a moral stance on a recreational drug that is less addictive than nicotine or California paying its vendors with 29,000 IOUs totaling $53 million?

From a simple economic standpoint the answer is obvious: legalize it.

Just take a look at Greece. In an article titled “State Debt Woes Grow Too Big to Camouflage,” The New York Times compared California’s situation to this bankrupt country. The similarities, among others, included both having unbalanced budgets and public workers whose benefits are getting harder to pay.

In addition to being a money source, legalizing marijuana would also cut cost. The illegal status of the drug has lead to an underground economy that law enforcement spends millions fighting against with few results.

The trend toward legalization is appropriate. Since 1996, 14 states have legalized marijuana for medical use. In other states, the use of the drug by anyone has been decriminalized.

The ability to decide if marijuana is appropriate for the people of California should be decided by its state government.

In reality, the legalization of weed will probably not increase the amount of pot heads in California.

The evidence? Just look at prohibition, if people really want to do something, they will find a way around the barriers. If so, the state of California might as well be getting their cut from it.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “California has a right to legalize marijuana”

1. Leonard Krivitsky, MD, DD says:

In Canada, where as even the “opponents” would admit, the crime rate is lower than in the United States. At the same time in Canada medical marijuana not only has been legal for some time, but the government pays for their veterans’ medical marijuana since 2009 and, according to the news just released, NS must pay for the woman’s medical marijuana. All I can say is BRAVO, CANADA!

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/canada-pay-military-veter

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100331/science/canada_novascotia_ns_

American Medical Association has already voted to recognize the medicinal value of cannabis plant and Iowa Pharmacy Board recently voted 6-0 to recommend the legalization of medical marijuana.
    And yet the “opponents” have engaged in shameful fear-tactics that have nothing to do with reality as cannabis use was shown to suppress violent crime instead of inciting it (According to authoritative Substance Abuse: A Comprehensive Textbook, 4-th Edition, page 267), and the so-called “gateway drug” theory is a pure fantasy. I strongly suggest we reject the fear-tactics of the “opponents” and move quickly to at least legalize medical marijuana ASAP across the Nation.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...

The University of Miami volleyball team returns home this weekend to host Atlantic Coast Conference ...