Buzzin’ to Shwayze

Courtesy XL Records

Sigma Alpha Epsilon is about to do it again, this time by bringing Shwayze to the University of Miami for their third annual Paddy Murphy Benefit Concert.

Shwayze, famous for their hit single “Corona and Lime,” will be performing Thursday night at the UC Patio. Marking the beginning of SAE’s Paddy Murphy Week, the concert will benefit their philanthropy, the Children’s Miracle Network. With Grind Mode (“I’m So High”) opening the act at 8 p.m., this year’s show promises to be the biggest of them all.

“The fact that we put on a concert each year that is fun but at the same time helps such a great cause really sets a good example for our fraternity,” said Matt Baren, SAE’s Paddy Murphy Chairman. “Fraternities are not all about beer and sports, we pride ourselves on our contributions to the community.”

All donations will benefit the Children’s Miracle Network, a non-profit organization that raises funds for more than 170 children’s hospitals. Donations to the institute are put toward medical care, research and education, all promoting the improvement of children’s lives.

Students will be able to give donations to the Children’s Miracle Network tonight as they enter the UC patio. Additionally, throughout the event, SAE brothers and pledges will circulate with donation buckets for any additional contributions students are willing to make toward the cause.

Last year, the Ying Yang Twins’ performance raised about $2,500, bringing the grand total of SAE’s donation to the Children’s Miracle Network to $11,000. This donation surpassed the 300 other SAE chapters around the country; with the help of the attending community, SAE hopes to top last year.

“It’s a great way for everyone on campus to get involved without even noticing and still support a great cause,” freshman Daniella Anderson said.

This year, SAE  was able to attain a higher budget to hire a more widely-known artist in the hopes of attracting even more students to the event. After months of hard work, SAE Vice President Michael Eisenstein and Hurricane Productions’ Phil Muellerschoen are happy to see their efforts come to fruition.

“Going back and forth getting contracts signed and approved for both Shwayze and the opening artist Grind Mode has been busy work,” Eisenstein said. “However, it will all definitely be worth it in the end.”

Claudia Aguirre may be contacted at caguirre@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: SAE and HP present Shwayze featuring Grind Mode, to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network

WHERE: University Center Patio

WHEN: Thursday at 8 p.m.

COST: Free admission, donations accepted

Claudia Aguirre

Contributing EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Buzzin’ to Shwayze”

1. MiamiMusicFan says:

Incredibly unclear article. Barely gives HP (who put up most of the money to make this happen) any recognition for this production. Poorly researched and a bit biased.

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...