Letters to the Editor, Opinion

A Cane till the end

On Tuesday, a true Hurricane passed away.

Words cannot describe the pain I feel, but I believe that his story must be told. For a moment, we should remember Steven Guarin. I met Steven when I was 11 years old and he quickly became the most popular kid in our grade.

Throughout middle and high school, he was the class clown and the life of our class. His humor was infectious and his talent for music made him stand out even more.

About two years ago, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. Last June he was on the brink of death, but a treatment administered by our very own Miller School of Medicine helped vanquish his disease and brought new life into Steven, who was then 21.

After this miraculous recovery he became the Hurricanes’ number one fan. I watched as he transferred into UM, personally met with Shalala, attended every single football game he could and truly savored every minute he thought he would never see.

He was always so positive, so thankful for the life that was given back to him.

About a month ago, the cancer came back and he began his fight all over again. I’m heartbroken to say that he passed away this morning, exactly one week after his 22nd birthday.

Today, I want to remember someone who fought so hard, someone who truly left a mark not only in my life but in countless others. Someone who saw the positive in everything, even as his own life slipped away. Rest in peace, my friend.

Natalia Yepes is a senior majoring in public relations and international studies. She may be contacted at nyepes@themiamihurricane.com.

Natalia Yepes

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “A Cane till the end”

1. Moe says:

He truly was an Angel on earth and now he will watch over all of us. This Article totally hit the spot, I too have know Steven since I was about 11 in W.R. and he was always so nice to everyone and always in a good mood. He is always going to be in my heart and his family will always be in my prayers. We lost a GREAT one. Steve oooOOOo may you Rest in Paradise <3

2. Sasha Matarran says:

I too have known Steven since middle school and my heart aches to know he is no longer with us. He was an outstanding individual who will be missed greatly.
    Rest In Peace Steven.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...