YouNiversity of Miami – Guitar Guys

It’s not uncommon to be walking near the intramural  fields or through the University Center and hear a little music. There are kids with boom-boxes, the radio station broadcasting solid music all day every day and Patio Jams every Thursday.

There are tons of types of music constantly playing around campus and its hard to find a silent place outdoors. The one music source that most merits discussion, however, is the “guitar guy.”

Guitar guys come in many shapes. There’s the constantly-stoned hippie, the raging angry emo and the Abercrombie-wearing “ladies-I-play-acoustic-guitar” guy, but the classic and by far the most superior, is the music lover.

They don’t play because of crazy levels of THC in their bloodstream or to pick up the freshmen girls who swoon when they hear an acoustic version of “Slide” by the Goo Goo Dolls. They play, simply, to play.

Not even five doors down from my dorm in Pearson, I have a good friend, Jonny. One day, when a group of buddies on my floor was relaxing and trying to think of things to do that night, Jonny left and returned with an acoustic guitar.

For a moment, I was concerned that my new bud was one of the bad breeds of guitar guy. I thought to myself that if he started to sing “could you whisper in my ear, the things you wanna feel…” I was going to make a break for the door. But to my (pleasant) surprise, he was a pure-blooded, Grade A musician!

They are a rarity these days, but good music is always welcome, and his music was original, stylish and amazing to listen to.

There’s a lot of hype surrounding guitar guys. Is it true that it’s pretty much an instant and sure-fire way to pick up chicks? Do all guitar guys basically sound the same? Do you need to brush your hair off to the side as you play and then stare off into the distance looking pensive?

It is by no means a guarantee that if you play guitar you will pick up the ladies. The general consensus from the girls I asked, however, is that it’s a huge turn on if you can play well.

Not all guitar guys sound the same. They vary a lot based on their roots and their influences. All in all, they tend to lean towards very mellow and relaxing music though.

So next time you pass a guy stretched out by the Hecht-Stanford bridge tuning up his guitar, sit down and listen. Who knows, maybe this particular guitar guy will strike a chord with you.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “YouNiversity of Miami – Guitar Guys”

1. The Guitarists Network is THE online resource for guitar players of all ages, styles, and abilities. We have a large collection of guitar tablature, guitar lessons, a guitar chord and scale generator, online guitar resources, news, discussions, and more.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...