Baseball

One away from a sweep

After winning their series at North Carolina State this past weekend, the No. 12 Miami Hurricanes continued a streak of dominant play on the road that has defined the first half of their season. After losing a disappointing midweek home contest to Central Florida, the Canes traveled to Raleigh, N.C. and sandwiched two wins around an extra innings loss to improve their record to 7-1 in road games and 16-7 overall.

Junior starter Chris Hernandez allowed four runs on seven hits in only five innings of work. A 3-for-3, two RBI performance from sophomore outfielder Nathan Melendres, helped the Canes squeak out a 6-5 win. Hernandez struck out six in the back-and-forth affair, receiving his team-leading third win of the season.

The Hurricanes were dealt a devastating 11th-inning loss on Saturday after heading into the final inning with a 6-1 advantage. The Canes allowed five runs in the bottom of the ninth inning all with two outs to tie the game, wasting a fantastic start from senior Jason Santana. Santana, who was upgraded to Saturday starter earlier in the year to rest junior lefty Eric Erickson’s arm, has excelled in his new role. The righty turned in another strong performance, allowing one run in just under six innings of work.

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal led the Canes offensively with his best hitting performance of the year. The Miami native went 4-for-5, knocked in five runs and hit his second home run of the season in a 12-hit barrage by the Canes’ lineup. Closer David Gutierrez had a nightmare of a ninth inning by allowing four hits and four earned runs.

The Canes rebounded from their heartbreaking loss on Sunday, winning the series finale 4-0. The junior lefty blanked Wolfpack hitters in 5 2/3 innings of work, allowing seven hits while striking out four. Freshmen relievers E.J. Encinosa and Eric Whaley, as they have done on countless occasions, locked down the opposition with dominant relief.

Sophomore designated hitter David Villasuso went 2-for-4 in his first start of the series. Freshman Michael Broad was a combined 0-9 in his starts before being replaced. Grandal was also 2-4 in the clincher, finishing the series with a stellar 9-for-13 clip and six RBI.

The Hurricanes will look for a midweek win at home against Florida Atlantic on Wednesday before a home conference series against Wake Forest.

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...