New members inducted into Iron Arrow

Senior Amy Levine celebrates with fellow Iron Arrow members after her tapping Thursday morning. Levine was one of 35 people tapped last Thursday. Brittney Bomnin//Photo Editor

“Oh my God! What’s happening?” said senior Rory Lincoln, who was invited to become a member of the Iron Arrow Honor Society last Thursday.

Lincoln was originally told he needed to be at the School of Communication to give a tour.

Instead, he was surrounded by a group of people wearing the brightly-colored Seminole jackets characteristic of Iron Arrow members. An arrow was then horizontally thrust at his chest, and he was “inked” with orange, white and green paint across his forehead.

“It was probably one of the most intimidating things I’ve ever been through. I didn’t realize that there was no student and no tour immediately, and kept asking to be let go because I thought I was being pranked,” Lincoln said. “No one answered because [we are] supposed to be silent, which I eventually caught on to.”

Iron Arrow “tappings” occur once every semester and are carried out in manners often similar to Lincoln’s story.

Any member of the UM community can be tapped, from students and faculty, to alumni and administrators. It is the highest honor achievable at UM.

Second-year law student Elena Doyle was tapped as an undergraduate and is now the society’s chief. Doyle sees membership in Iron Arrow as being part of a long-standing tradition of great leaders at UM.

“To be an Iron Arrow member is to be recognized for having all five of the characteristics [we value]-scholarship, leadership, humility, character and love of alma mater,” Doyle said.

Son of Chief Jodie Barkin, a medical student, acknowledges tradition as one of the most identifiable attributes of being an Iron Arrow member.

“Being an Iron Arrow member has been a tradition of greatness at the university since it began in 1926.” Barkin said.

This semester, 35 new Iron Arrow members were tapped. After joining Iron Arrow, members agree to establish an everlasting bond with the university that lives on long past their graduations, retirements or relocations.

“Members of Iron Arrow participate in many acts of service to give back to the community, a tradition UM has long been known for,” Barkin said.

Colleen Dourney may be contacted at cdourney@themiamihurricane.com.

Spring 2010 Iron Arrow Tapping Class:

Leyla Al-Mansoori

Heidi Ashbaugh

Caitlin Augustin

Leah Bradley

Bennett Brummer

Christin E. Clay

Omar De Leon

Jennifer Del Toro

Melissa Diamond

William Drennan

Gill S. Freeman

Ramon Galiana

Elizabeth Greig

Sara Klaben

Sophie Khokhawalla

Lindsey Lazopoulos

Amy Levine

Rory Lincoln

Jenny Litz

Jack Louro

Eyal Maidan

Nicholas Perilla

Andrew Post

JoNell Efantis Potter

Guillermo Prado

Jane Pryjmak

Stephanie Sayfie-Aagaard

HT Smith

Marvin Smith

Richard Sobaram

Eugene Steinfeld

Kartik Telukuntla

Jean Vehle