Tennis

Miami struggles in the Old Dominion state

The Hurricane men’s tennis team struggled in Virginia this weekend, losing to both Virginia and Virginia Tech.

On Friday afternoon, No. 1 University of Virginia (21-1, 4-0 ACC) swept the Miami Hurricanes (6-7, 0-5) 7-0 in ACC play at Boyd Tinsley Courts in Charlottesville.

It is the first time this season that the Hurricanes have not scored a point during match play. It is the Cavaliers 20th win in a row this year.

Miami’s Christian Blocker debuted in the No. 1 position to an impressive outing against No. 4 Michael Shabaz taking him to a third set, 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-3), 10-6 but ultimately lost.

The Cavaliers doubles teams (all ranked in the top 50) swept the Canes to get the first point of the night.

Waylon Chin and Ignacio Tabadoa were beaten in straight sets to give the Cavaliers a 3-0 lead. Keith Crowley held off his opponent for three sets but was unable to keep No. 33 Jarmere Jenkins from getting the decisive point at 4-0.

David Simon and Carl Sundberg were also beaten in straight sets by their ranked opponents, No. 53 Drew Courtney and No. 3 Sanam Singh respectively to fill out the sweep.

On Sunday the No. 20 Hokies beat Miami 5-2. Miami’s ACC woes continue.

The Hokies won two of the three doubles matches to get the doubles point and take a 1-0 lead in the game. Blocker and Simon got the only doubles win for the Hurricanes  8-6.

Virginia Tech then won three straight singles matches in straight sets against Chin, Crowley, and Blocker to get the decisive 4-0 lead. Blocker playing in the No. 1 position lost to No. 1 Yoann Re.

Sandburg playing again in the No. 2 position, was able to force the game into a third set before finally losing 6-7 (5), 7-5, 1-0 (6).

The two Hurricane points came off three set wins. Simon beat Patrick Daciek 4-6, 6-1, 6-4. Ignacio Tabadoa overcame #107 Sebastien Jacques 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (12). It is his first win this season against a ranked opponent.

The Hurricanes next face  non-conference opponent Wisconsin on March 31 at Neil Schieff Tennis Center at 1 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...