Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor- laundry list of reasons why the marijuana article is wrong

I am writing to you because of the article in the recent Hurricane about how marijuana use is not normal. You did this paper a disservice by publishing that piece of drivel.

1) The Miami Hurricane is a newspaper of an institution of higher education, not a voice box for malicious government propaganda and baseless superstitions.

2) The article listed no sources and got many of the facts dead wrong as well as conveniently omitted several beneficial uses of marijuana.

3) Why is 20 percent not a substantial enough portion of the student population to render their behavior as “normal”? How would we react if Gabriela had pointed out how abnormal being gay is? I guarantee that this article would not have been published if the subject were race, political views, gender or sexual orientation instead of an illegal drug. Drug users are one of the few groups we are still allowed to publicly slander.

4) Why in the hell are we supposed to care whether or not Gabriela thinks something is normal?

5) If we have to put up with intellectual effluent from the newspaper, can we at least get it in a more entertaining fashion? Her writing is about as exciting as an infomercial.

I would highly recommend you fire her and hire me in her stead.

Chris Smith is a senior majoring in Math and Computer Science.  He may be reached at csmith@themiamihurricane.com.

Chris Smith

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...